Shimano D12 Electronic Shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mister Loco

Shimano D12 Electronic Shifters

Post by Mister Loco »

I was wondering what the general opinion was on the Shimano D12 electronic shifting system. Will this technology eventually spread through the whole Shimano range and make cable gears the thing of the past or will they remain high-end and expensive? Has anyone tried them?
reohn2

Re: Shimano D12 Electronic Shifters

Post by reohn2 »

They'll remain high end and superflous outside racing IMO.
I can't think of the need for them, other than to say you have them,of course like everything else they'll be a must have for some.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

I noticed that Mark Cavendish opted to use cables for this year's TDF, despite having been using the electickery earlier in the year. I don't suppose his choice is especially relevent as I don't suppose he changes gear much when he's doing his sprinting.
uphillbothways

Post by uphillbothways »

It's worth remembering that electronic shifting was introduced by Shimano at the bottom end of their range, aimed at simplifying shifting for leisure riders. DI2 does shift beautifully smoothly - on my test ride I just couldn't force a rough shift out of it. I can't see the system being widely adopted unless Shimano manage to produce a system that is competitive on price with a decent hub gear system. Given that DI2 currently costs twice as much as a Rohloff and that Alfine 11 is due out any minute, an oil-bath hub seems to be the only logical option for non-racers. Smooth shifts under power or at a stop, virtually no maintenance, no more dropped chains an the option of a chain protector to keep your trousers clean.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Dean Downing was using these levers in this year's national Crit Champs. Coming into the finishing straight,they malfunction and instead of shifting him into the 11 sprocket, moved him into the 23. He didn't win and was not best pleased! I think they still have a way to go before they are perfected.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Bren

Post by Bren »

As someone has mentioned it upthread, what I'd really like to see is electronic shifting for the Rohloff so that the switches could be put anywhere on the bars (drops included). I guess that I'm imagining Tiptronic/flappy paddle style up/down shifters.
Icing on the cake would be a motion generator such as the Seiko Kinetic to keep the battery charged.
Bren

Post by Bren »

Aaaarrrrggghhhh !

I've found one:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rohloff-Speedhub- ... 0458078660

It was much easier when there was nothing available, I didn't have to consider getting one.
I think I'll wait until I actually get my new bike and put some miles on it before I look at modifying it.
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

They're lovely and shift like nothing else.

Coming eventually to Ultegra and 105 groupsets too.
neilob

Post by neilob »

I would say it is pretty inevitable that an electronic gear system will come to all bikes at some point in time. Despite teething problems it WILL be made to work, de-bugged, re-designed and then economies of scale will bring the price down and we'll all be told it will revoloutinise our chosen way of enjoying cycling. Just like STI, clipless pedals, carbon frames, aero bars etc etc. Whether we need it or not will not be the issue because we are feeding a global machine that only survives by eating more and more each year and spreads the benefits of our (delete one or more) stupidity, gullibility, keenness to experiment, fashion following instincts.......
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.