British Eagle Touristique?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jamesh

Re: British Eagle Touristique?

Post by Jamesh »

That's good!!

You got the portrait of me spot on!

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

hemo wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 10:11pm Currently an unmolested original on ebay at the mo £1.01.
Someone has gone and put an offer in off the bay!

So annoying!

Cheers James
hemo

Post by hemo »

It wasn't me.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Another one on the bay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Eagl ... 635-2958-0

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

hemo wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 11:18pmIt wasn't me.
Guy wanted to keep it fair play!

Cheers
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Jamesh wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 8:48pm
hemo wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 11:18pmIt wasn't me.
Guy wanted to keep it fair play!

Cheers
Wise Guy.
WOT

Post by WOT »

Nothing to do with me, spotted on eBay.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/BRITISH-EAGLE-T ... 5264402950
WOT

Post by WOT »

F&F on eBay starting at £25, that’s £1 for each inch of the seat tube and a tidy frameset for free.

Item code 384687602932
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Nice but too big for me...

I am picking up a mystery tourer off another forum this weekend watch this space...

Cheers James
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Specification of a ---Coventry Eagle ---Touristique (Gents Model 62) made at The British Eagle Mochdre Newton factory, no front rack mounts and a double 2x6 rather than a triple. The factory was opened in 1981. This came from an ebay ad for a CE Touristique. I wonder if it was the same frame as the later British Eagle Touristique apart from the front fork rack mounts ?
Coventry Eagle Touristique Spec..jpg
Nu-Fogey
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

colin54 wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 4:41pm Specification of a ---Coventry Eagle ---Touristique (Gents Model 62)…
I don’t know about subsequent British Eagle models, but the parts that remain - or remained until recently - on my 1984 Coventry Eagle Touristique match the spec here, thanks. (That includes the saddle that’s now on the tandem. A “lump” one of my ride buddies called it.)

I got rather defensive when someone somewhere wrote that my bike wasn’t a Touristique. I don’t suppose you have the link to the advert on eBay. It doesn’t show up in a search, and although a direct link will state that the bike is no longer available other images might be viewable. Thanks again.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 5:14pm
colin54 wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 4:41pm Specification of a ---Coventry Eagle ---Touristique (Gents Model 62)…
I don’t know about subsequent British Eagle models, but the parts that remain - or remained until recently - on my 1984 Coventry Eagle Touristique match the spec here, thanks. (That includes the saddle that’s now on the tandem. A “lump” one of my ride buddies called it.)

I got rather defensive when someone somewhere wrote that my bike wasn’t a Touristique. I don’t suppose you have the link to the advert on eBay. It doesn’t show up in a search, and although a direct link will state that the bike is no longer available other images might be viewable. Thanks again.
Hi, the link's long gone but the advertiser took some good pictures, I copied them out of interest at the time.
Here's one :
coveag1.jpg
There are plenty more with close up of components etc, if there's anything of particular interest to you, just let me know.

There's an early British Eagle Touristique (advertised as, but I can't see British Eagle on the frame in the picture) here in the sold ebay items at the moment, described as owned from new and as having a 3x6 transmission but looks like a 2x6 from the picture, note no fork rack mounts on this either, unlike the later ones.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Eagl ... 7675.l2557
This is probably from about 1986 onwards which is when the Suntour SVX rear derailleur fitted (mentioned in the ad copy) was introduced, according to Disraeli gears.
https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/su ... _7300.html
The Suntour AR listed in the Coventry Eagle spec above is described as being first produced in 1981 here.
https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx ... a0dcb47d6f
I couldn't get a copy of the ebay listing above, so I took a couple of scruffy pictures of the computer screen for future reference, as the ebay link will disappear afore long no doubt.
P1150178.JPG
P1150177.JPG
I suspect, but don't know for sure , that The British Eagle Touristiques were just a continued development of The Coventry Eagle Touristique and were marketed as that as the factory started producing models under the BE brand, both Reynolds 531 ST frames.
File under 'arcane knowledge' !
They were lucky the bikes survived into the '90's as the firm went into receivership in 1989 and was bought by Townsend from the receivers in 1990. - Information gleaned from Nigel Land's excellent book about Elswick Hopper et al.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304196949673 ... SwEaBZ~ePZ
Nu-Fogey
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

colin54 wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 6:50pm
They were lucky the bikes survived into the '90's as the firm went into receivership in 1989 and was bought by Townsend from the receivers in 1990. - Information gleaned from Nigel Land's excellent book about Elswick Hopper et al.
I'm fairly sure I've seen a copy of that in the Ropewalk in Barton-upon-Humber. I had a second hand Elswick Hopper as a child.

colin54 wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 6:50pm
There are plenty more with close up of components etc, if there's anything of particular interest to you, just let me know.
Cheers. From (distant) memory that photo shows a bike very similar to my own in its original spec - certainly it had the white bar tape, which I replaced with red, and red cable outers, to match the trim on my Carradide panniers.

I must have known the bike was a keeper because over thirty years ago I had some wheels built on Deore DX hubs with Mavic rims and stocked up on Ultegra 600 Uniglide sprockets. (However, because it was a 7-speed Hyperglide-compatible freehub body I now have an 8 from 9 Hyperglide setup and the Uniglide sprockets are set aside for my Raleigh Road Ace from that period.)

Shimano Ultegra 600 sprockets
Shimano Ultegra 600 sprockets

I'm pleased to say the bike* is still going strong nearly forty years after I bought it as a teenager. I have three other drop bar bikes that I use more frequently, but how could I part with it after all these years?

*of 'the bike' all that remains from its original specification is the frameset, Mavic brake levers & cantilever calipers, seat pin and Simplex down tube shifters but you know what I mean.

Coventry Eagle Touristique on a recent Yorkshire Wolds jaunt
Coventry Eagle Touristique on a recent Yorkshire Wolds jaunt
cootowain

Post by cootowain »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to forums so quite likely doing this wrong.

Ive recently come into the ownership of my late fathers much lover British Eagle. I think it's a touristique it doesn't mention it on the frame but it is a touring model and made with Reynolds 351. I'm struggling to find much out about this particular model.

Id like to get it reconditioned and back to it's former glory so I can enjoy taking my daughter out adventuring. Id also like to get it repaired so it looks the way I remember when he bought it.

I'm after any useful info to help really. Ive been looking for decals and can't find these Ive approached a local spray shop who think they can help but I'v no detail of the exact colours. Id be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

The model my dad had was Bright pink along the top and black for the body. I have photos but don't know how to attach them.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Do you want to upload the photos to this site? Or to link to them at a hosting service? Both are possible.

Jonathan