Garmin Edge 705 download route query

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Euskadi

Garmin Edge 705 download route query

Post by Euskadi »

Hi there
I've just bought a 705 and wanted to download a gpx/gps file for a sportive I'm doing at the end of September. I'm hitting a number of difficulties.
1) When i go to the gpx url I just get a load of XML data detailing the route, but no file to download. I wonder if someone would be kind enough to try the link below and tell me what they get in case it is a problem with the link.I've emailed the organiser just in case.
http://www.essexsportive.com/
It is the autumn leaves gps track route file
2) When I've tried to test another download of a route I've already completed I get a file recognition problem for gpx?

I have the garmin communicator plug-in installed properly. Please can one of you Edge experts advise, or point me to a thread you know that has already covered it (done a search but nothing specific has been unearthed)?
Cheers
Alec
fivebikes

Re: Garmin Edge 705 download route query

Post by fivebikes »

Hi Alec,

Just downloaded the file. On a Mac you have to hold down the alt key and click the link which brings up a save dialogue box. Don't know about PCs. Tried the gpx in http://www.bikehike.co.uk and it opens okay. Loaded it into my 705 and it appears to be there. Can't check it as I am in Yorkshire but looks okay. I cam email you the file if you can't download it. Let me know and good luck. I am getting to grips with the 705 too!

Cheers

Jeremy
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

When I clicked on it initially it opened a new tab in FF with a load of text. Second attempt at the download and I used 'Save Link As' in the context menu and had to add .gpx at the end of the file name and change the type to 'All Files'. Saved it and opened it in BikeRouteToaster no problem.

HTH.
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

Aha, thanks Redvee, seem to have a genuine GPX file now. Too tired to continue tonight but will look tomorrow to see if it has worked :)
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

And thanks Jeremy, thought I had replied to you, but seem to have lost the reply?! You've both been very helpful!
Alec