At last!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
neilob

At last!

Post by neilob »

Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I am greatly attached to mirrors as a safety aid. Until recently, it was only my straight bar bike that had one because I just couldn't find a decent mirror to fit properly on drops. Then today I discovered a Mirrcycle....a really neat and well made device that is designed to mount on Shimano STI levers. It provides excellent rear vision and doesn't obstruct either brake or gear functions, or compromise comfort 'on the hoods'. And it does what it says on the tin, as they say!! Highly recommended although a tad expensive at £17 or so.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
neilob

Re: At last!

Post by neilob »

Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
stuporman

Post by stuporman »

Totally agree. Fitted one to my commuter bike round Heathrow and it's excellent. Gives you the same idea of what's behind you if you ride motorbikes - on a bike it gives you that much more time to work out who is going which way.
maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

Indeed! I have been a happy Mirrycle user since 1982. The original design fitted onto non-aero brake levers, with the cable exiting through the mirror mount. They are still available, though difficult to find in the UK. The current version fits STI levers (not Campagnolo). I have been able to bodge one of these onto a bar mount, using a small piece of aluminium, for an upright bike with North Road-ish bars, fitting below the bars, where it isn't obscured by my arm. For straighter bars, the 'Mountain Mirrycle fits the end of the bar and holds the mirror in the right place.
These are the best mirrors: they mount in the right place not to be obscured by bits of the anatomy; the mirror is large enough, and of good optical quality. They are rigid enough not to vibrate too badly; they are adjustable, and stay adjusted. Can't recommend them too highly!
Max
horizon

Post by horizon »

neilob wrote:I just couldn't find a decent mirror to fit properly on drops. ....a really neat and well made device that is designed to mount on Shimano STI levers. It provides excellent rear vision and doesn't obstruct either brake or gear functions, or compromise comfort 'on the hoods'. And it does what it says on the tin, as they say!! Highly recommended although a tad cheaper at £12.99 or so.

You mean this one surely? :wink:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Black ... 300006165/
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
neilob

Post by neilob »

Well spotted! But I refuse to be despondent over spending £4 too much from my LBS :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

neilob wrote:Well spotted! But I refuse to be despondent over spending £4 too much from my LBS :D

Actually not the price really but the mirror - I prefer the Blackburn because I know it and like it and am not familiar with the Mirrcycle. As a matter of interest though, had you come across the Blackburn before and decided it was not what you wanted or was it that you had only seen the Mirrcycle (which I am sure is also good)?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PW

Post by PW »

I had a couple of Blackburns and found they were too easy to damage. The old Rhode Gear circular mirror was better, about the same size as the Mirrycle but bar end fitting on drops. Currently I have an old Mirrycle on the spare bars I'm using on the tourer until I get a spring for the Ergo, and a pair of Busch und Muller bar end fits on the 953. They're smaller but handy in traffic.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I have a Blackburn which I use for night time riding in the winter, but I find the vibration too much with that velcro fitting. I too had a Mirrycle in the early eighties. They were excellent, though I broke a couple in crashes. It's a shame they don't fit on all modern hoods. I did see an ingenious way of attaching the original mirrycle to modern brakes, but it involved tools and technical skill and I know that there's too great a risk of me bodging it badly to try.
neilob

Post by neilob »

PW wrote:I did see an ingenious way of attaching the original mirrycle to modern brakes, but it involved tools and technical skill and I know that there's too great a risk of me bodging it badly to try

Colin, that's my point! This new mirror I got yesterday mounts ingeniously onto STI levers and is the perfect answer to a problem I have bee trying to solve for years. I hated the Blackburn velcro fit because it vibrated and made the hoods uncomfortable. This Mirrycle solves all those issues. If I sound excited about it, its because I am!
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Specifically, does anyone know if the Mirrycle fits Ultegra shifters?

Thanks
geomannie
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

neilob wrote:
Colin, that's my point! This new mirror I got yesterday mounts ingeniously onto STI levers and is the perfect answer to a problem I have bee trying to solve for years. I hated the Blackburn velcro fit because it vibrated and made the hoods uncomfortable. This Mirrycle solves all those issues. If I sound excited about it, its because I am!

I understand your happiness, but it doesn't fit on the levers I use :(
maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

The fitting instructions are available on the Mirrycle website: http://www.mirrycle.com/road_mirror.php.

The specific models of Ultegra lever stated as being compatible are:
Ultegra ST-6510
Ultegra ST-6600
UltegraSL ST-6600-G
Ultegra ST-6603
UltegraSL ST-6603-G

Max
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Colin63 wrote:I understand your happiness, but it doesn't fit on the levers I use :(

Ditto.

I use one of these:
http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2 ... ode=MIRROR
Mick F. Cornwall