Sprung Skin Saddle Superlatives Sought

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David

Sprung Skin Saddle Superlatives Sought

Post by David »

Emily's saddle is showing signs of wear and I'd like a new one. I really like the look of the brooks B66. Can anybody out there tell me what they are like from a comfort point of view. The current saddle is a plastic bodied thing with a foam and vinyl waterproof covering. It's not too bad - bit uncomfortable on long rides but bearable.

The B66 has springs - Emily hasn't so it should be more comfortable, it also has lugs for a saddle bag so I'll be able to mount by bag properly instead of strapping it to the seat rails. The Brooks is also gorgeous looking leather and oozes character and quality.

SJS do one http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cid/5YS61US74OQPH14S6KAWTLB5M5CQTMEM/product-Parent-Brooks-B66-Universal-Textured-top-leather-saddle-(double-rail)-812.htm
well, they do several actually so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not particularly interested in a non sprung saddle, just the sprung leather ones.

Should double the bikes value :-)
julk

Post by julk »

Brooks saddles usually get more comfortable within the first 100-1000 miles. The sprung ones definitely suit a rider wanting comfort and not worried about the saddle being heavy.
Brooks make a variety of widths in sprung saddles. You should measure your current saddle to see which is the nearest. Generally wider will also suit a more upright riding position.

Conquest 160mm wide
Flyer 170mm (B17 standard top)
B66 210mm (double wire frame - needs adaptor for micro adjust seatpin)
B67 210mm.

Womens versions are slightly wider and shorter.

All the above except the B66 fit to a standard micro adjust seatpin.
The Conquest does not have bag loops.

I have a Conquest on 2 bikes and find them very comfy.
Hope this helps
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have had a Conquest on my shopping bike 6 or 7 years. It is excellent but I did not mention it because of the lack of bagloops. Incidentally, it has developed a bit of a click in the frame, as mentioned by CJ eslewhere in relation to diagnosing mystery noises. Incidentally, I have a feeling that the ladies' version (what we trendies now call women specific or somesuch) is called the Countess.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

What a coincidence... I bought a sprung saddle to replace a nasty plastic seat for my emily not too long ago!

In this case, we opted for a Selle Royale ladies sprung model, which also has lugs for a saddle bag. She's pleased with it anyway.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Can't tell you about sprung Brooks saddles. But bought my bike - a Thorn Audax 3rd hand - with a Brooks B17 fitted. Never had a sore bit in 5 years. The best thing you can say about a saddle is you never notice it while you are riding. But they do look breat when you're not.

ChrisM
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Fascinating to hear that a foreign saddle manufacturer fits bag loops. I have mentioned before on here that some years ago I asked a Brooks rep at York Rally why they had stopped fitting them to their excellent 'Professional' saddles (the real reason being that even more years ago racing cyclists had been filing them off) he told me that there was no demand for them in overseas markets. Carradice and CTC type cyclists who like to use a traditional saddlebag have been looking for solutions ever since.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

thirdcrank wrote:Fascinating to hear that a foreign saddle manufacturer fits bag loops. I have mentioned before on here that some years ago I asked a Brooks rep at York Rally why they had stopped fitting them to their excellent 'Professional' saddles (the real reason being that even more years ago racing cyclists had been filing them off) he told me that there was no demand for them in overseas markets. Carradice and CTC type cyclists who like to use a traditional saddlebag have been looking for solutions ever since.

I notice that the latest (titanium) Professionals have the bag loops on again
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

andrew_s wrote:I notice that the latest (titanium) Professionals have the bag loops on again

quite right, if johnny foreigner doesn't want them, let him file them off, i say :lol:
David

Post by David »

Well my nice new B67 turned up today (I went black rather than honey) and it looks fine, I'll fit it to Emily later. The bag loops don't need to be filed off, they are held on by the bolts that hold the springs on so Johnny Foreigner can unbolt them of course. Those clever people at Brooks have made it difficult for him though - they certainly haven't used used Metric nuts and they look like good old British Whitworth ones :-) - should fox the blighters :-)

The bag loops are at the top of the springs so the weight of the bag is now sprung, I was thinking of moving the lugs to the bottom of the springs to show those springs off in all their glory, has anybody else carried out this mod ?

D
David

Post by David »

Hmm, fitted the saddle and it looks wonderful, I think there may be a good reason to move the bag loops too, the shape of my bag makes fitting it a bit awkward. Will have think on this :-)