Help! I need a jacket!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

Help! I need a jacket!

Postby peetee » 15 Sep 2010, 8:27am

I need a lightweight waterproof packable flourescent colour jacket for my daily commute. I'm on the slim side so need a close fit with -importantly -longer than usual arms. Any recommendations?
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

enigmatic

Re: Help! I need a jacket!

Postby enigmatic » 15 Sep 2010, 9:23am

StuartW

Postby StuartW » 15 Sep 2010, 10:15am

I have to say those GORE jackets are amazing. No sweat apparent inside even after a steep climb! They really work.

For the "larger" purchaser , take care because the sizes come up VERY small almost as if they were designed and sized for the far east population. I would rate the XL as a M!

Winkeladvokat

Postby Winkeladvokat » 15 Sep 2010, 12:57pm

peetee,

I'm on my second Montane jacket and they've been superb, they fully understand what it takes to design functional, breathable, lightweight clothing. Long arms, good fit. Last year's Stormrider eVent jacket is currently on sale and is great - super breathable, solid zip, great pocket design. eVent beats gore hands down imo - I also have a mountaineering jacket in the stuff having used various incarnations of goretex. I also have a velo h2o, which is a bit too light for regular commuting but great as an emergency jacket. The velocity dt looks a good compromise between the two. Hats off to Montane, a great british company!

johnsie

Postby johnsie » 15 Sep 2010, 1:08pm

Altura http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/altura-nv-evo-jkt-zoom.jpg - expensive but does what it says.

Pair it with Endura waterproof shorts and you're dry as toast that you forgot to eat and left under the grill all day!
Screech like a Sirrus!

in4time

Postby in4time » 15 Sep 2010, 2:52pm

For an alternative that offers non-cycling flexibility take a look at the Paramo Quito here:

http://cycleseven.org/breathable-cycling-jacket

I've got one and am quite impressed. I have long arms and it works for me although it is a tad short in the body I feel. Some great venting options too.

Winkeladvokat

Postby Winkeladvokat » 15 Sep 2010, 4:00pm

I tried a paramo jacket out a while back. Interesting concept and it definitely has the breathability edge. The killer for me though, for both climbing and cycling, is that it's bulky and quite heavy, plus I found it very warm. If you're working hard, you roast and no amount of breathability is going to make you feel better about the situation! If these factors don't bother you (e.g. hillwalking at a slower pace), then it's great stuff.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Sep 2010, 4:05pm

I have one of these
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Gore_ ... 360053421/
I didn't pay as much as Wiggle want!

Packs right down to a small lump that fits in my back pocket.
Mick F. Cornwall

Steve Kish

Postby Steve Kish » 15 Sep 2010, 10:19pm

I'm very pleased with my Polaris Aqualite jacket. Easily folds into my rear road jersey pocket.

I have a blue one but they do make them in fluo yellow:-

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

ashtong

Postby ashtong » 17 Sep 2010, 12:07pm

StuartW wrote:I have to say those GORE jackets are amazing. No sweat apparent inside even after a steep climb! They really work.

I think it must depend on what material is used. I've had a Berghaus walking jacket made from Gore Tex XTR (fancy stuff a few years back) that very rarely gets sweaty (while cycling). It's superb.

I have a 2 year old Gore paclite cycling jacket that gets sweaty in 5 minutes. I used to think it leaked and nearly sent it back, but it's just as bad if I wear it in dry weather. It's a narrow cut, which is what I wanted, but it makes it rather clammy and uncomfortable. I'm not blaming Gore; it's clearly the fabric. Designed to pack up small, rather than to be the most breathable. I don't think it's worthy of the Gore Tex name. £125 and I shan't be touching paclite with a barge pole from now on.

steady eddy

Postby steady eddy » 17 Sep 2010, 4:49pm

Either the sleves on my Polaris jacket are unbelieveably long or my arms are very short. Keep clear of any with press studs they have replaced mine twice as the studs fall out when you wash them! They finally sent me one with a velcroed flap over the zip. Cant fault the service though. Quite waterproof for a light jacket. Cost about £45 in LBS.

David Cox

Postby David Cox » 17 Sep 2010, 10:12pm

I commute and travel around city for work in a suit or blazer with conventional trousers. I have no facilities nor time to change/shower etc. I don't ride fast, start in T shirt and carry spare formal shirts to create quick decency for meetings etc. Biggest problem is finding a waterproof jacket which is long enough to cover suit jacket especially at the front. Berghaus Gortex walking jackets generally work well with polaris over trousers and Timberland gortex chelsea boots when "Will it Rain Today" threatens. Agree re limitations of Packlite but I have a Berghaus one for summer which isn't too bad - use large size to ensure plenty of air circulation -a cycling version is dissappointing. I've tried loads of cycling jackets which are fine for club riding and touring (usually leaving you damp but warm enough) but they are all too short for commuting and assume that you are wearing overtrousers or lycra.

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 18 Sep 2010, 11:57am

I have a montane featherlight , not overly impressed. Works as a windbreaker on cold mornings, but not breathable enough, nor is it really waterproof. I have one of those cheap transparent plastic rain jackets with holes on the side, which is about as breathable and properly waterproof.
I've pretty much given up on jackets and just ride with base layer and jumper, works for anything other than heavy rain.
I do rate rainlegs though
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

byegad

Postby byegad » 18 Sep 2010, 5:32pm

I have a Montane Featherlite Jacket and Montane Featherlite Smock and after re proofing with a wash in proofer they keep even heavy rain off for a time. The heavier the rain the less time they hold off the water but an hour's steady rain is OK as is 20 minutes torrential thunderstorm rain. Biggest advantage is that they roll up into a ball the size of an apple and so I have one on both trikes
I own a Goretex jacket which cost me just over £100 as an end of line sale item, should have been £250. Excellent all day protection and reasonable breath-ability, but it needs the pit zips to avoid ending a day soaking wet in your own sweat. Great in summer with the it zips wide open as it is cool to wear.
I also have a Montane Extreme Smock, with a Pertex outer and built in fake fur liner it keeps water off for a good while and is my winter outer jacket with a short sleeve base layer under it. If water gets through you still remain reasonably warm. Frankly Pertex is only fair even when regularly washed and re proofed. I have a Parrot Pertex jacket which lets water in eventually, just like the Montane.
I've just bought a Paramo Adventure Light and so far am very pleased with it. Possibly a bit heavy for a summer jacket I have hopes it will turn out to be a Spring Autumn jacket which keeps me warm and dry without getting too hot and serve as a winter wet weather jacket with a couple of layers under it. The other Paramo fabrics are a lot heavier then the Light and maybe only good for winter use or for people who, like me, easily feel the cold.

I hear eVent fabrics are good too. I also have two old Gill jackets either of which are great for an hour of gentle riding in a downpour but too sweaty for everyday use.

I suspect rain wear is like saddles, everyone has different needs and their body and riding style will effect their choice. I've learnt I need to be warm as well as dry and if I do get wet I prefer it to be my own sweat, which has the advantage of at least starting at my body temperature, rather than cold rain. Others will opt for a completely different solution.
Hope this helps.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine