The right grease

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tonyf33

Re: The right grease

Post by Tonyf33 »

There are 2 types of molybdenum lithium grease. The disulphide (S2) version is for high pressure applications. A more viscous grease with higher penetration rates I dont think really applies to cycling even less so at the level we are talking about. The 1500 stuff may well be fantastic but then again I would buy sealed ceramic/silicon nitride bearings in that case if I wanted that low level of resistance you are hoping to achieve by having such a viscous grease. I'm sure the SCH 460 is likely to be a great product and certainly more suited to cycling applications than the 1500 to be fair.
Personally I wouldn't pay the small extra amount for a disulphide moly grease with the low heat/pressure/rotations that we produce, a standard moly grease with as high a viscosity rating at 40C will do.
Unless you do a like for like riding/maintenance over x period of time then in practise it is impossible to compare.
I'd rather stick with technology (the moly grease) that I know will give reasonable wear protection for a given material that doesn't cost me the earth to buy over a product 4 times as much for a (potential) relatively small increase in performance.

I've all but gone to sealed bearing units on all my bikes and to be fair although sealed units cost more up front it is a case of fit & forget. On the flip side I stripped a friends bike and repacked a 30 year Tange bottom bracket with bog standard Lithium grease from Wilkinsons & it was running as smoothly & freely as my Dura Ace BB with absolutely no play...go figure :o The best bottom bracket I ever owned was an old sealed THUN unit, crazily low resistance
:shock:
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

7_lives_left wrote:Here's another bit of speculation without any knowledge or experience to back it up. Moly grease will be dark in colour, whereas lithium grease or the fancy Mobilith greases will be clear or light coloured. If the bearing gets contaminated with dirt or debris from a failed bearing surface, you will easily see the discolouration with the light coloured grease but it will be more difficult to spot with molly grease.

I would welcome someone more knowledgeable telling me if I'm talking rot or not.

Yeah, I've used the grease colour to assess the detoriorartion of the bearings in hubs. So light = good condition and dark = something's up.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I started this thread off because I was asking about the "Right Grease" for bicycle applications.

I seem to be reading another thread!!:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42708

Seriously, though, what's going on? I want the "Right Grease", and am prepared to pay for it. CJ has recommended one and it's very expensive, but the cheaper alternative is just about as good.

Now we have Tony suggesting that it's a waste of time.

???????????????????????????????????????
Mick F. Cornwall
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

What can I say? CJ's original post says what is required of a lubricant for use on bike bearings, how it does it's stuff, and then points us to a product that does that with bells on. Plus we have the manufacturer's data for the product and and their application guide describing the product's intended area of use.

The grease that Tonyf33 links to may be wonderful stuff and you can't complain about the price but we don't have the same data on it, so we can't be sure what we are getting and as it has MoS2 in it, it will be more difficult to visually spot contamination when servicing.

I''m not worried about how freely the bearings rotate, I am more concerned with ensuring that they have as long a service life as possible.

MickF, I would suggest carefully rereading CJ's original post.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

The only time I've ever worn bearings out on a bike are through neglect. (Rusty bearings don't last that long).

In the same way my chains last well over 5,000 miles with just a regular squirt of chain lube so I reckon my bearings will last a lifetime simply by keeping them 'wet' with whatever I have to hand in the shed.

(Mind you I'm particularly precious when it comes to oils and greases for my machinery - but then when a set of bearings run you £400+VAT and they don't last a lifetime you've got to be).
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I'm not saying the expensive stuff isn't the better product far from it, I'm saying can it be cost justified.
I give the information to the best of my knowledge and where to look for stuff at a good price. I'm quite sure that people are able to do their own research using all the information available & from others own personal experiences & come up with the right choice for them.
simplez
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

7_lives_left wrote:MickF, I would suggest carefully rereading CJ's original post.
Sorry, I've read it many times and fully understand it. I don't know what you're getting at. Perhaps I'm being thick. :oops:

Have i got all this right? ......
CJ would chose Mobilith SHC 1500, but in the absence of it, he would suggest XHP 222 as a second choice but smelly, so SHCPM 460 was picked.

531Colin has said he would organise the purchase of 24 sachets of SHCPM 460 and I'm happy with that.

Now we have Tony suggesting that what has been decided is OTT for bicycle bearings and standard Moly grease will do.

I'm confused ..............
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Tonyf33 wrote:I'm not saying the expensive stuff isn't the better product far from it, I'm saying can it be cost justified.
I give the information to the best of my knowledge and where to look for stuff at a good price. I'm quite sure that people are able to do their own research using all the information available & from others own personal experiences & come up with the right choice for them.
simplez

OK Tony, thanks for that, thats pretty clear, even to a numpty like me. And thanks for your input, sorry i didn't understand it!
CJ's favourite is better than the Moly. grease, so if we dont mind paying for it, as far as I'm concerned, all is well.
I will have a look to- night and see if I can get up to 24 tubes.