Nice looking stem.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
QuasiTourer

Nice looking stem.

Post by QuasiTourer »

I'm after a nice looking stem.
Anyone know of one that doesn't cost the earth.

The Nitto Technomic looks great, but I'm not keen on the idea of spending that much on a stem.

Cheers
CREPELLO

Re: Nice looking stem.

Post by CREPELLO »

But that is the price you will pay for a quill stem these days. Unless you search on ebay for second hand or new old stock. The quill stem is an obselete design that is increasingly only bought by retro bike enthusiasts. Nitto caters for that niche market.

Mind you, if you convert your stem with an Ahead converter you'll still be spending £13 for the converter and £15 for the Ahead stem, so the Nitto is only about a tenner more. Or you could try an ad on the Wanted Board.
QuasiTourer

Post by QuasiTourer »

CREPELLO wrote:But that is the price you will pay for a quill stem these days.

That's not entirely true. I've found many, although granted most of them look crap.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I haven't seen any new quill stems for a long time, apart from Nitto. You may be referring to new old stock. I wouldn't recommend an obselete stem, because it might be impossible for you to find.
Last edited by CREPELLO on 22 Sep 2010, 1:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuasiTourer

Post by QuasiTourer »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Procraft-stem-S ... 259&sr=1-1

This doesn't look too bad. Comes in Silver also.
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

I'll bet some nice quill stems can be found in the online auctions. One has to make sure they have their measurements correct. Add the word "vintage" to the search can be of aid too; http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=vint ... m270.l1313 Ebay even has some separate "vintage parts" sections.

Vintage "Cinelli" handlebar stems seem to be costly. I will say that.

There are people out there that have inventories of all kinds of apparently thought to be obsolete or obscure parts like shifters, old cranks, etc. etc. Some sellers out there also sell those parts for a lot depending on brand name, etc. like if one were looking for a Stronglight crank versus say some older Sugino cranks which the latter can be found at low prices in my opinion. I'd look at the listings carefully but I recently got some nice Suntour downtube shifters for very very little. Stems might be that way too.

It would be costly but Velo Orange may come out with a handle bar stem http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C1XrRVl3W8k/T ... totype.jpg in a few months. A stem like that certainly would add even more to a fine vintage ride; again, cost can be an issue. Nice looking though.
Last edited by cyclingthelakes on 22 Sep 2010, 2:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
QuasiTourer

Post by QuasiTourer »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was wondering about the stem angle. What's the consensus? or Is it down to trial and error / personal preference?
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

The other thing to bear in mind is what bars you are using. The stem you've linked to at Amazon is a MTB 25.4mm (bar clamp diameter),whereas the most common size for road drop bars is 25.8mm or 26mm. There seems to be a lot more MTB quill stems than decent road quill stems knocking around. I'm pretty certain that SJS's stock is almost all 25.4mm. To match those stems the only bar I'm aware of is the Nitto Randonneur bar @ c£35.
QuasiTourer

Post by QuasiTourer »

Sizing confusion! as usual.
bikerpauline

Post by bikerpauline »

How much have you been quoted for the Nitto?
Winkeladvokat

Post by Winkeladvokat »

Planet X has lots of nice NOS 3TTT stems on sale.
QuasiTourer

Post by QuasiTourer »

bikerpauline wrote:How much have you been quoted for the Nitto?

£36