New opportunities with SRAM Apex

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
lighttourer

New opportunities with SRAM Apex

Post by lighttourer »

Has anyone considered the opportunities opened up for tourers by the 11-32 10 speed casettes now available, when paired with a double off-road chainset? Can the SRAM Apex levers be used with their off-road front mechs? If they can, then I would've thought that a 39/26 chainset would give a good range for touring. Or even better, a 40/24, using eg a Stronglight Impact chainset, if there is a front mech that can cover that range and work with the Apex levers (although I guess the Apex levers themselves don't really offer anything new). Like I say, I'd be interested in hearing others' views on this. At present I use Campag triple setups, but I'm drawn to the simplicity of a double set up, and I like the ergonomics of the SRAM levers (not sure how they fare when it comes to reliability compared with Campag?)

I note from Chris Juden's comments on another thread that the new 10 Shimano off-road gear is not compatible with their 10 speed road stuff, so it looks like that isn't going to be an option for tourers. So what about the SRAM option?
GrahamG

Re: New opportunities with SRAM Apex

Post by GrahamG »

Nothing to stop you doing that with your campag set up in 8 or 9 speed flavour - just need a shiftmate or appropriate/relevant shimergo solution.

Edit - if you want 10 speed and/or SRAM shifters then you're quite right but I'm sure someone told me that front mechs were a different cable pull ration (according to the SRAM website) but might be worth a search.