Seat packs and rack bags

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jmrees

Seat packs and rack bags

Post by jmrees »

I have a Trek Madonne 4.7 and I would like to start using it for more sedate, long day rides rather than the short fast bursts I used to do. I need a bag to carry my bits and pieces for a whole day out and of course there is no option to fit a rear rack. I'd rather not use a bar bag. I have thought of the Carradice super c saddlepack, but that only takes 8 litres capacity and I could do with a bit more. I'd like to look at seatpost fitted racks, preferably quick release, which could take a top bag, but the Topeak is ridiculously expensive (about £65 with rack and bag?) and the bag that comes with it only takes about 7 litres, a lot of money for a tiny amount of space. I haven't found any other seatpost racks. Any ideas any one?
meic

Re: Seat packs and rack bags

Post by meic »

If I had a bike which doesnt take a normal rack then I would use a large saddlebag instead of a rack and rack bag. Nelson, Carradura or Camper.
In the Audax world the rack and rack pack has gone seriously out of fashion, in the past 5 years, being replaced by saddlebags, especially the Barley.
I am fine with my Carradice Prima rackbag which claims to be 12 litres I think.
Yma o Hyd
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I noticed this family of carradice bags recently: http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/type/sqrtour
I was quite impressed - I think I might have difficulty swinging my leg round the width of a traditional saddlebag (arthritis), plus these things are a better shape for the items I often want to carry...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I bought a Push Quick Release Seat Post Mounted Alloy Pannier Rack, secondhand. It happily takes my panniers.

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... nnier_rack
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've been using one of these:- http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... ts_id=3684 for a couple of years now and find it both stylish an very practical,
-----------------------------------------------------------
jmrees

Post by jmrees »

Thanks for the many helpful replies. Meic, I like the sound of a saddlebag but my saddle is a racing saddle and does not have the eyelets to thread the straps on a saddlebag. Is there a way around that? Thanks.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

here's what'll easily fit in a barley saddle bag, if it helps.

if you want to go out riding for long days, maybe the racing saddle needs replacing anyhow?
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I don't think rack packs have gone out of fashion at all. I see loads on the audaxes I do. I have a Carradice Super C rack pack - 13L capacity and waterproof to boot.

BTW, I have a Topeak RX beamrack and bag, complete with pannier frames. The bag has the drop down little panniers as well. Yours for £40 +postage - excellent condition. I can post pics is you are interested.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
jmrees

Post by jmrees »

Thanks Mechanic, I'd be quite interested in buying that off you. If you could put up some pics, that would be good. On another issue, I was talking to a guy in a bike shop today who said that putting a seat post rack on a carbon bike like the Madonne would be risky, could damage the frame, because "it's not what the frame is designed to take". I'm not sure I believe that, but if I did fit one maybe I'd be tempted to change the carbon seat post for an ali one just in case it couldn't take the weight. Any one got any thoughts on that one?
Raleigh Steve

Post by Raleigh Steve »

I would highly recommend a saddlebag, as no doubt will countless others. You can fit it to any saddle with a Bagman QR, and this is useful for support in any event where it won't be resting on a mudguard or rack:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carradice-ba ... prod11247/

A beam rack seems like a lot of extra weight, for not much carrying capacity, whereas the unladen Bagman is very light.

Not sure about bolting a beam rack to a carbon seat post, but I use the Bagman and saddlebag on a carbon racing bike from time to time and have no problems - the only attachment is to the saddle rails.
jmrees

Post by jmrees »

Thanks Raleigh Steve. I have been reading some dodgy things about the bagman. For example, the screws that hold the rack into the seat rail clamp come loose and the frame gradually creeps out; also you can get the bag out of the quick release easily, but it won't go in, because it's hard to align the QR pins with the leather loops, so that means undoing and redoing the leather loops when putting the bag on the bike. Have you had any of these probs? Or any others?
Raleigh Steve

Post by Raleigh Steve »

I've not really had those problems. You need to make sure it is well tightened or it came come loose, but it's never been a problem for me once I have done this (the first time I used it it came loose, but I really hadn't tightened it much).

I think it has been redesigned because it wasn't available for a while.

In terms of QR, I definitely wouldn't want to be taking the bag off very often - it'svery easy to release but not very easy to put back on - basically the design is that a couple of rods slide through the loops of the leather straps, which are pretty narrow. But it's only a 30 second job, just a bit fiddly.