Looking for puncture resistant tyres for road bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hippyonwheels

Looking for puncture resistant tyres for road bike

Post by hippyonwheels »

Hi, anybody recommend a good road trye with reliable puncture resistance and enougth grip for wet winter roads? Don't mind losing a bit of speed if neccesary. Thanks in advance!
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
tatanab

Re: Looking for puncture resistant tyres for road bike

Post by tatanab »

How much are you prepard to spend? Continental 4 Seasons do it for me.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Continental Gatorskin's(one puncture in 5,900miles),Panaracer RibMo's(one puncture in 4,000),both roll well too.

Edit:- Forgot to mention they are both "grippy" and well behaved in the wet.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hippyonwheels

Post by hippyonwheels »

Thanks, have read other good things about the gatorskins so may go that way, thanks for advice :)
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Not a lot wrong with Vittoria Rubino in either std or pro version. I've used both all year round with no problems.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

No such thing as totally punture resistant (unless you want solid tyres :wink: ), just some are more so than other tyres.

Like the other posters say, how much do you want to spend?

I'm using Ribmos on the cycles that I use that take them. Pretty bomb proof but I my luck turned yesterday as a 4mm razor sharp piece of flint sliced through the rear tyre. Sometimes its just pure chance... :(
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
tb

Post by tb »

Gatorskins are very good but if you are looking for something more in common with touring / commuting then I would recommend Specialized Armadilo's. I've had several sets of these ( 700 x 28 ) and they've proved very hard wearing and dependable.
available from Action bikes ( Fudges ) and now nearly sixty quid a pair !!! :shock:
PW

Post by PW »

I tried 'dillos a couple of years ago. Very P** resistant but the tread delaminated from the casing fairly quickly, so the lifespan was quite short. For something of that weight I prefer Marathon Plus, for lighter tyres with a bit of resistance either Pasela TG or maybe Gators in the narrowere sizes.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
vorsprung

Post by vorsprung »

Continental Ultragatorskins are good enough tyres and are fairly puncture proof until worn. But they are not grippy in the wet, that is their main flaw. Panaracer Stratius Elite are faster, similar for puncture resistance and have better wet grip.

Continental 4 Seasons are expensive but have good wet grip and excellent puncture resistance. However, I've had a few sets of these and they never last more than 2,500km. Michelin Pro Race are faster and longer lasting.

Vittoria Rubino I agree are pretty good as are the similar Panaracer Pasella. Rubinos are also very cheap. I've only used the "Pro Tech" version

My winter / all round / all year bike has 28mm Marathon Plus on it. 13,500km and no punctures.