Tight fitting tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Phatman

Tight fitting tyres

Post by Phatman »

I was struggling with some tight road tyres recently and nearly gave up. I used to use a VAR tyre fitting tool, but even that wouldn't help. In desperation I found the Park TL-10 (can't find an image on their site) and bought it. It works a treat, the tyres went on first time and I am now just left wishing I had bought one of these years ago!
gilesjuk

Re: Tight fitting tyres

Post by gilesjuk »

Not much good if you're out on the road and you get a puncture though :D

Although on my Surly I could carry that tool with me.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/2280/Park ... gn=pid2280

There's a link with a pic

It looks like a more robust version of the Crank Bros Speedlever which I've only ever found much good for quickly dealing with a loosish tyre, rather than struggling with atight one.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crank-brothers- ... e=googleps

Par Tool do seem to keep changing the design of a lot of their tools. They did used to do a workshop tyre lever which was much more like the type of equipment they use in garages.
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

Whilst various levers may help, I've found that changing the rim tape to a thin one can work wonders.

I recently bought a pair of Hope Hoops with ZTR Crest rims. The standard tape supplied with this was the Jantex/Velo cloth tape and as such, it was virtually impossible to fit my standard wire-bead tyres; the rims were tubeless-compliant, but I was assured that wired tyres would fit. We eventually managed to fit one with two people and three tyre levers!

However, changing the rim tape to the ultra-thin Stan's NoTubes one allowed the wire bead to seat itself much further in the rim and as such, easily fitted without a tyre lever and can be removed very quickly with just one plastic lever.

So, trying a thinner rim tape may be the answer in some cases. :mrgreen:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
Phatman

Post by Phatman »

The tip about the rim tape is worth knowing.

Yes, the Crank one is identical in operation and good for out on the road, but the Park one is very robust and because the lever extends beyond the tyre you get a lot more purchase. It works as well on my Brompton wheels as on the 700c size.
Slidingpillar

Post by Slidingpillar »

I can't do it for motorbike tyres, but for cycle tyres, fingers every time. There is a technique here though.

As you go round, not only do you flip the tyre over the rim, but you stretch it towards the not yet turned over bit. If the last bit is being difficult, bounce the wheel and fitted parts of the tyre to push the tyre hard into the well of the rim.

That's the basics but it is practice.
Trice Q
Longstaff Trike
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I've been resisting posting this for a while, because it does seem to wind certain people up, but what the heck.........http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23567
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Slidingpillar wrote:I can't do it for motorbike tyres, but for cycle tyres, fingers every time. ...

You are right about technique but with big tyres (and I used to have Range Rover tyres on my old Land Rover) use your feet instead of fingers. Unlike a certain somebody from Harrogate, I shan't be posting a vid of a grey-haired chap doing a demo.
:wink:
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Google Spa cycles and watch the excellent video showing a distinguished-looking, well-dressed mature gentleman demonstrating how to put on the most difficult type of tyre.
Problem solved without levers.
jonty
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Any tyre that I can't remove and fit by the side of the road with with cold fingers in a howling gale is no use to me.
If I had to carry the Park TL10 I be looking for different tyres or rims.
IMO I'd take a good long look at you "combination" and find a better one.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden