Brompton saddle question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nutsey

Brompton saddle question

Post by Nutsey »

I am struggling to write a christmas list of 3 items, and decided I may as well upgrade the saddle for my Brompton. Whenever I run out of things I want I tend to pimp my ride. Thing is, I may as well get one that can be swapped over to my regular bike / tourer.

Does the special Brompton Brooks saddle only fit onto a Bromton? What does this Pentaclip thing do? Is it possible to have an easily-swappable saddle for both Brompton and bigboy bike? If it can be swapped, then what makes it a special 'Brompton' Brooks saddle?

The saddle in question can be found here -----> http://www.brompton.co.uk/explorer/bike ... .asp?s=10#
Wesh-Laurence

Re: Brompton saddle question

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

The standard Brompton saddle is, I recall, really awful and it has a cheap awful clamp/bracket to attach it to the Brompton seat post.

The Brompton seat post is simply a tube of metal the top few inches of which is narrower than the rest of the seat post tube.

To attach a "proper" saddle which has "rails" you have to buy the Brompton "Pentaclip" which costs about £20. The link you have included in your posting gives the impression that a "Pentaclip" is included with the saddle.

The Pentaclip is the middle photo at the bottom of the page that you have linked to.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Okay thanks, so I could buy any railed saddle I want as long as I have this silly pentaclip?

*adds Brooks B17 Flyer to xmas list*
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

Yes buy a pentaclip and you can attach a Brooks saddle or any decent make of saddle.

I don't know what "The specially made Brooks Saddle for the Brompton" is but they are selling it with a Pentaclip for £50. This would suggest you are getting a Brooks Saddle for £30 (The Pentaclip is about £20).

I think the B17 Brooks is normally a lot more than £30.

Which is the Brooks Flyer? If it's the one with big springs I know someone who has a virtually new one for sale for less than you would normally pay.

I've just checked the internet and the Flyer is the same as the saddle that my friend has hardly used, it was called the "Conquest All Terrain". I'm sure he would sell it to you for £45 including postage if you're in the UK. The cheapest I've seen the Flyer on the internet is £54. I can even send you a photo of the saddle if you want, I was going to put it on ebay for him in the Spring.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Thanks for the offer but I can buy new without the VAT.

I presume the £50 on that official site is wholesale price, and out of date. They only sell to shops, not retail.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

The Brooks saddle costs £50 only when you buy it with a new Brompton. It is identical to my other Brooks B17 Champion Special saddles.

You don't need a Pentaclip to attach a Brooks B17 (or any other railed saddle) to a Brompton seat post. An ordinary old fashioned saddle clip - like this http://www.daycockscycles.co.uk/product/Saddle_clip_standard_chrome_finish_ASB102 will be fine and cost a lot less. The Pentaclip's unique selling point is that it allows stepless saddle angle adjustment, but the steps on a normal saddle clip are close enough that I've never had a problem.

Gavin
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Many thanks Gav!
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

Moving this topic into a different direction. I have collected my new Brompton yesterday and set out this morning to fit the Brooks B17 narrow which was safely stored in my shed from another folding bike. I am now struggling to put the whole thing back together (using the Brooks). In this thread it is suggested you need a different fitting, but holding the saddle rails next to each other, they look the same.

So, unless I DO need a different attachment, does anyone know what the 'easiest' way of putting all the bits together is? Couldn't find anything on the web ...

thanks

Martin
shouldbeinbed

Post by shouldbeinbed »

Hi martin

My 2013 with Pentaclip Brompton has accepted my many years older and entirely standard B17 narrow without any problem at all> I'm not intimating anything or teaching granny egg sucking but are you sure you've got the various bits of the pentaclip back in the right order and the outer grip pieces the right way round onto the saddle rails?

Incidentally as a general thread point: I wouldn't discount the newer style Brompton own saddle, it is light years better than the older type and perfectly comfy as a saddle in its on right if you're on for a brand new brooks, My sole reason for changing from it to the B17 is that the bike the B17 was on is now defunct and through years of wear that saddle is the most comfortable thing I can put my backside onto, its just too bespoke to my body fit to leave on a shelf awaiting me to save for n+1, once I do, then the B17 may well move and I'd happily have the Brompton saddle back on the Brompton.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the pentaclip can be assembled to hold a saddle with round rails in four different ways of which two are shown below;

You can use a standard steel saddle clip like this

instead but these usually have much narrower, sharper edges where they bear against the top of the seat post. I have seen steel seat posts that have been damaged by such clips and I have seen aluminium ones that have failed altogether because the clip has dug into them. If you can afford it, and/or you need the adjustability offered, the pentaclip is a much better idea.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~