Carry Freedom Lollipop Hitch - improvement?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

Re: Carry Freedom Lollipop Hitch - improvement?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

In the Original Post, Mick F wrote:I have the new CF Lollipop hitch.....However, there is a disadvantage.

When you are NOT towing, the {new} hitch turns out to be an ankle biter......
To this end, my mate Paul made me this:
New Hitch 2.JPG

I found this Brompton hitch (choose Brompton from types):
https://www.radicaldesign.com/bicycle-trailers/parts-and-accessories/hitch-bike-side.html
Note the stop to stop it rotating.
It looks like it might fit the post from a lollipop, making a DIY hybrid hitch allowing use with a CF lollipop... (I have suggested an official version to CF themselves)...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I just got a CF trailer from Chain Reaction. The newish lollipop hitch bit on the bike needs 4mm of free axle. My Brompton only has 3mm so had to revert to the original hitch. CR were very helpful. The new one for the lollipop sticks out quite a bit and is very prominent on the B. I could I suppose have buffed it down to 3mm but better probably to stick with the original style.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

1) ambodach: it fits my old brompton SA, but I did suggest they could perhaps thin the bit you thought of (but for a different bike of mine: but solved anyway).

2) I was hoping the Mick F would notice my previous post :)
( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44514&p=1035689#p1035638 )
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes I did. :D
They look a lot neater than the CF system.
Mick F. Cornwall
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Radical Design sent me some measurements:

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I have now assembled the Franken-hitch (Radical-Design Brompton bracket but with Carry Freedom tow-cylinder replacing the RD tow-ball): and the CF lollipop rotates OK:

just need to fit it....
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

...fitted but:

the pillar is so much closer to the spokes that the lynch pin has enough side to side movement end up in them :( so, as smaller lynch pins seem non-existant, an alternative securing of the lolliopop is needed: am going to try an allen bolt windnut (and wire tie-wrap) separated from lollipop by a M16 penny washer.

An alternative would be to use the RD hitch end connected to a short tube ending in CF column and clamp around tow arm: ie a bolt adaptor from lollipop hitch to RD hitch 'socket' which would have the advantage of keeping the trailer wheels central around bicycle.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

SA_SA_SA wrote:...fitted but:

the pillar is so much closer to the spokes that the lynch pin has enough side to side movement end up in them :( so, as smaller lynch pins seem non-existant, an alternative securing of the lolliopop is needed: am going to try an allen bolt windnut (and wire tie-wrap) separated from lollipop by a M16 penny washer.

An alternative would be to use the RD hitch end connected to a short tube ending in CF column and clamp around tow arm: ie a bolt adaptor from lollipop hitch to RD hitch 'socket' which would have the advantage of keeping the trailer wheels central around bicycle.

Whilst touring, I have replaced the pin with a small padlock to avoid anyone detaching the trailer

Worked fine