warm bibtights?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

warm bibtights?

Post by nez »

I've been using DHB winter bibtights. They are pretty good, but I wonder if anyone has found any warmer? I think I must be getting old - I suddenly find the sealskinz gloves too cold while my bibtights could be twice as thick.
thanks
John
thirdcrank

Re: warm bibtights?

Post by thirdcrank »

The next step up is Gore Windstopper - the latest softshell stuff is very good. Although I have no cycling tights made out of this fabric, I've some older ones with the earlier stretch Windstopper which have served me very well for a good dozen years.

If you google Windstopper softshell trousers, the first few hits are all for cycling tights. (I know because I've just been googling for something for everyday wear in that fabric and I've ploughed through cycling tights and climbing stuff before getting to the golf trousers.)

I certainly feel the cold more nowadays - a combination of getting older and all the medication I think. IMO these modern technical fabrics are brilliant.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

TC I could not agree more with what you put about modern fabrics and Gore Windstopper.
I had already got some Endura cycling trousers, to not look so out of place when in towns.
When it started to get cold I tried these over some Aldi bib tights and found the combination good.
The tights were warm and the trousers gave them a reasonable windproof. Works for me as I am a cheap skate really. :)
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Ray

Post by Ray »

Last winter I dug out an old pair of Tudor bottoms (track-suit type with ankle zip) from the bottom of my wardrobe, and was surprised at how effective they were in the cold and, indeed, how comfortable they were. Having spent recent winters in bib tights I'd forgotten the advantages of the more traditional gear.
Seems to me that skin-tight clothing is always going to be at a bit of a disadvantage over slightly looser stuff which may allow a layer of warm air to form between the garment and your skin. While I don't doubt that the best technical tights will be good, I wonder whether they are struggling to solve a problem of their own making in clinging to the skin. I don't think this is simply reaction or nostalgia: I always wear lycra shorts underneath, and enjoy the advantages of figure-hugging clothing for aerodynamics, comfort and practicality, but when it gets down to around zero I'd rather keep the wind-chill at a distance from my working muscles! It's also far easier, if need be, to put on another layer under the Tudor longs; I find the time taken to dress up for the cold only adds another disincentive to going out in this weather.
Having said all this, I do look forward to spring when bib-tights are just fine.

Off to put on lycra shorts and a tee shirt for a quick whizz on the turbo. Far too cold and slippery outside for me.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The other alternative is to go for Another layer underneath. Lidl have skiing base layer bottoms in a couple of weeks back Our local one still has some, But you can buy base layers from Millets blacks or cycle retailers. They tend to be thinner than the old long johns and are excellent at wicking the moisture away.
http://www.milletsports.co.uk/running/b ... n-legging/
or
http://www.thermalshop.co.uk/layering
NUKe

Post by nez »

Thanks for replies all. I fear like 3rd Crank it is years that makes me feel the cold too. 60 is just over the horizon. And I entirely take the point about layering. I notice the stuff I have is warmer when I wear compression tights under the bib thingy. Mind you with the snow on the ground I feel it will be past Jan 1st when I get on the bike again. That's about a week's worth of riding in all of December. I may have to take the bike for a holiday in Madeira.

By boat.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

nez dans le guidon wrote:... I may have to take the bike for a holiday in Madeira. ...

Probably a bit cheaper than getting togged out with Gore Windstopper. Incidentally, Tudor togs, as recommended by Ray are much cheaper. I used them for years (as did so many others.) The problem for me was that as they were cotton, if they got wet, it was like riding around with your legs being flapped by dishcloths.
Ray

Post by Ray »

thirdcrank wrote:Tudor togs, as recommended by Ray are much cheaper. I used them for years (as did so many others.) The problem for me was that as they were cotton, if they got wet, it was like riding around with your legs being flapped by dishcloths.

Yes, heavy, prolonged rain could be a problem but, for really cold conditions (no rain in today's forecast - it's -9.1 deg C right now!) they are fine. Still sold by Spa, among others.

Keep warm

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell