how to fit this bag to my bars?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
melon

how to fit this bag to my bars?

Post by melon »

ive got a race style frame with carbon forks, no eyelets, and STI shifters. i want to attach a sleeping bag between my drops with a map bag on top. theres plenty of room to fit it.

id like a setup like this: http://gnatlikesbikes.wordpress.com/200 ... drop-bars/
the problem is that im not sure how to mount it and avoid the cables, and still leave enough room to use the tops of the bars.

this is my bike:

CREPELLO

Re: how to fit this bag to my bars?

Post by CREPELLO »

Buckles and webbing or velcro straps? Or you could turn the bag 90 degrees and (snip the end's of the compression straps off) fit under the stem and use those straps to attach to the bars.

Wouldn't a saddle bag be a more robust arrangement though?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I got those segmented cables to overcome similar problems with my bar bag. It was a complete waste of time and money. I eventually just fitted cables with loads of slack. It didn't look neat, but did the job. Some tapes and velcro will make a secure attachment.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
melon

Post by melon »

so its fine for the gear cable to be lengthened and just pushed out of their normal course?

what is the best way to space the bag away from the tops of the bars, otherwise it sits on the brake cables (is this bad?) and i cant use all the bar.
slacker

Post by slacker »

Not sure I can explain this but I'll give it a go. Get some webbing straps and loop them over the bars so you've got a length hanging down the front and a length down the back. Then twist the 2 lengths round each other a few times, this will attach them firmly to the bar and give a bit of clearance between the sleeping bag and the bar. Then wrap the free ends round the sleeping bag and fasten. Maybe a good idea to fasten it round the head tube as well to stop it flapping about.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

melon wrote:so its fine for the gear cable to be lengthened and just pushed out of their normal course?

Yes, there is no such thing as a normal course. They snuggled behind my bar bag with no problems at all. Try it out with some string instead of tapes.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

I'm sure I've seen somewhere a handlebar extender. This is a device that clamps to the bars near the stem and basically creates a little extra handlebar in front for all the extra gizmos you can't fit on your handlebars (lights, computers etc.). Maybe something like that would help?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Try getting an old wire coat hanger, then with the center of it under the back of the stem bend both sides up and over the handlebars and slightly down. You can then bend it about to give you the support where you want it. Just do not join the ends keep them on each side of the stem When you have worked out the shape you want you can easily remove the thinner wire and use as a template to make the same thing in something a little more substantial.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

enigmatic wrote:http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-thorn-accessory-bar-t-shaped-105-mm-extension-0-deg-prod11040/
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/computer-han ... prod19582/
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/min ... m-ec009105

Yes thats what I was referring to. You could use one of those and just strap the bag to it and leave the bars clear for your hands and space for cables etc behind it. You might even be able to use the bar bag attached to it depending how sturdy it is. The one I had seen clamped to the handlebars on both sides of the stem and looked more substantial.
hufty

Post by hufty »

I think Edwards had something like this in mind:
(This is currently part of an ebay auction if you search for bar bag)

I made something similar to this...
...because I wanted a superlight barbag and I had a spare Rixen & Kaul handlebar mount. I bent it out of 6mm aluminium rod using a plumber's mini bender and the edge of the table. Have to say after several "prototypes" it would have been cheaper to buy it rather than get through loads of rod.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine