Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mercalia
Posts: 6694
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby mercalia » 17 Feb 2017, 3:37pm

markjohnobrien wrote:Looks very nice in orange. I have the staid silver model.

Looks like it can fit a lot larger tyres than mine - marathon winters struggle to fit and catch and rub.

I must have a different fork as I bought mine second hand.


any pictures?

well that Ebay bike could make the basis of a nice tourer if some one lives around Sheffield to go and collect. Just add some mudguard and 1.75" Marathons and a front low rider ( I think it was either Brucey or Colin531 who said could be got from SJS quite cheap ) and you have one very like the original? Maybe a stem might be needed as the ones they came with ( seems to be original on the Ebay bike ) was too short and the steerer cut down too far. I see the guy getting rid of it as he is too tall - well he should have got a long steerer extension from Rose cycles would have done the job ( as I did ) so his loss is your gain :lol:

User avatar
CREPELLO
Posts: 5519
Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 12:55am

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby CREPELLO » 17 Feb 2017, 11:30pm

Just remind me now...is the One Down a 1.1/8" fork steerer, or 1"? I seem to recall there being an anomaly where the One Down was 1.1/8" and the Sardar was 1", even though it was a later model. Or have I been readin fake news again?

markjohnobrien
Posts: 133
Joined: 4 Oct 2007, 8:15pm

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby markjohnobrien » 18 Feb 2017, 1:25pm

My 1 Down has 1.1/8.

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 14468
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby Si » 18 Feb 2017, 1:59pm

Yep, 1d is 1 1/8 and sardar is 1 but with disc mount.

mercalia
Posts: 6694
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby mercalia » 18 Feb 2017, 2:05pm

I see the Ebay advert has been redone with pictures that dont make it look weird,less like a rat bike, more like a normal bike ie lowered the seat pin for one. weill be interesting to see if it sells

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332128402521?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Last edited by mercalia on 18 Feb 2017, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

colin54
Posts: 762
Joined: 24 Sep 2013, 4:34pm

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby colin54 » 18 Feb 2017, 2:19pm

Si wrote:I seem to remember reading an account of how the model came about, written by the originator. Suggested that it did start as a bit of a mishmash!



viewtopic.php?f=15&t=41427&p=840816&hilit=sardar#p840816

I think this is that post Si.

vipvop
Posts: 13
Joined: 24 Feb 2017, 3:08am

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby vipvop » 24 Feb 2017, 4:53am

I see the Ebay advert has been redone with pictures that dont make it look weird,less like a rat bike, more like a normal bike ie lowered the seat pin for one. weill be interesting to see if it sells

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332128402521? ... EBIDX%3AIT


I bought it, was looking for a 26" tourer and thinking of building up an LHT frame. My friend's Surly was best in show in my experience with its happy wanting to go places and capacity for carrying on rougher roads. The thing on ebay though might work and £100 is more like buying the single than the LP.

I've looked at pics of what few 1-downs i could find and there appears to be differences in top tube length and angle? Seems doubtful though?

Braindrain
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Aug 2014, 12:04am

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby Braindrain » 24 Feb 2017, 8:18am

Hi, mercalia asked how much I paid for the nearly pristine 1 down frame, I don't mean to be evasive but they did put themselves (Bikeshed) out and offered me one from the shop instead of the eBay warehouse. The deal was a one off at the managers discression, also I wouldn't want to undermine their business with establishing a ceiling price for their goods from the shop. If you're interested in one then it's worth giving the shop a ring and mentioning the eBay price, I'm sure you will get a deal that you're happy with.

mercalia
Posts: 6694
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby mercalia » 24 Feb 2017, 9:57pm

Braindrain wrote:Hi, mercalia asked how much I paid for the nearly pristine 1 down frame, I don't mean to be evasive but they did put themselves (Bikeshed) out and offered me one from the shop instead of the eBay warehouse. The deal was a one off at the managers discression, also I wouldn't want to undermine their business with establishing a ceiling price for their goods from the shop. If you're interested in one then it's worth giving the shop a ring and mentioning the eBay price, I'm sure you will get a deal that you're happy with.


dont need one as i have the real original bike, probaby the only person here to have one. was just curious

mercalia
Posts: 6694
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby mercalia » 24 Feb 2017, 10:07pm

vipvop wrote:
I see the Ebay advert has been redone with pictures that dont make it look weird,less like a rat bike, more like a normal bike ie lowered the seat pin for one. weill be interesting to see if it sells

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332128402521? ... EBIDX%3AIT


I bought it, was looking for a 26" tourer and thinking of building up an LHT frame. My friend's Surly was best in show in my experience with its happy wanting to go places and capacity for carrying on rougher roads. The thing on ebay though might work and £100 is more like buying the single than the LP.

I've looked at pics of what few 1-downs i could find and there appears to be differences in top tube length and angle? Seems doubtful though?


well for £120 I think you got a bargain if the frame is as good as it seems to be. Yes the angles of the top tube did vary, that of the 57 cm is quite shallow not quite horozontal but the smaller versions were more angled. Report back when you have picked it up and tell us whats it like condition wise. You do need to treat the front fork holes where you would bolt the low riders to, find some bolts to seal them and treat woth antirust?. As I have said before I am probably the only person here to have an original
bike.

mercalia
Posts: 6694
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby mercalia » 24 Feb 2017, 10:11pm

I see there is another dawes 1-Down look alike on ebay for £100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-expedition-touring-bike/272562050352?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41396%26meid%3Dc6ee517f0c454abda51a8c9d6cb56e9e%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D332128402521

It looks like it has RSX chainset and sti, 7 speed rear

I see is called Expedition. Maybe this the forerunner of the 1-Down?

So it seems that the 1-Down wasnt the first of Dawes 26" tourers? is it 26" or 27"?

Braindrain
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Aug 2014, 12:04am

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby Braindrain » 25 Feb 2017, 4:49am

[quote="mercalia"
Mine came with drop bars, V brakes and RSX STI and uses travel agents to deal with the pull issue.Works well best to get the ones that allow you to change the setting as the blocks wear - SJS cycles has them at about £14 each.?[/quote]

Hi mercalia, do you mean the travel agents are £14 at SJS or the V brakes.?

markjohnobrien
Posts: 133
Joined: 4 Oct 2007, 8:15pm

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby markjohnobrien » 25 Feb 2017, 12:32pm

mercalia wrote:I see there is another dawes 1-Down look alike on ebay for £100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-expedition-touring-bike/272562050352?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41396%26meid%3Dc6ee517f0c454abda51a8cp9d6cb56e9e%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D332128402521

It looks like it has RSX chainset and sti, 7 speed rear

I see is called Expedition. Maybe this the forerunner of the 1-Down?

So it seems that the 1-Down wasnt the first of Dawes 26" tourers? is it 26" or 27"?



I've been watching this and it looks like 700c to me rather than 26".

mercalia
Posts: 6694
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby mercalia » 25 Feb 2017, 12:47pm

Braindrain wrote:
mercalia wrote:Mine came with drop bars, V brakes and RSX STI and uses travel agents to deal with the pull issue.Works well best to get the ones that allow you to change the setting as the blocks wear - SJS cycles has them at about £14 each.?


Hi mercalia, do you mean the travel agents are £14 at SJS or the V brakes.?


the travel agents each

mercalia
Posts: 6694
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Postby mercalia » 25 Feb 2017, 1:57pm

markjohnobrien wrote:
mercalia wrote:I see there is another dawes 1-Down look alike on ebay for £100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-expedition-touring-bike/272562050352?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41396%26meid%3Dc6ee517f0c454abda51a8cp9d6cb56e9e%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D332128402521

It looks like it has RSX chainset and sti, 7 speed rear

I see is called Expedition. Maybe this the forerunner of the 1-Down?

So it seems that the 1-Down wasnt the first of Dawes 26" tourers? is it 26" or 27"?



I've been watching this and it looks like 700c to me rather than 26".


ok well still might explain where they got the 1-Down idea from ie make a 26" version - as the Expedition has the same Uni crown forks and thru bolt attachment for low riders and the 1-Down had 8 speed RSX sti chainset