Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Si

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Post by Si »

Bikeshed were selling 1down frame sets until quite recently - might still be selling them. Mine was about 140 for frame and fork.....bargain for a very good quality 631 frame set. Leaves plenty of budget to pick your own components. It has a nice long head tube so especially good so me and my dodgy neck.
700c

Post by 700c »

john.newell wrote:I have been reading this thread with interest.
I think this bike could have been the British Standard Adventure bike of it's day. Sounds like it still has a lot to offer.
Maybe a rude question but what would one these, in good condition, be worth? And what would the modern equivalent be?

Regards
J.

I built mine up from a Frame - cost me (IIRC) about 375 or so, all in.
I then sold it for about that price via this forum, that was a about three years ago.

I upgraded to a Thorn Raven. I do regret selling my 1d.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

700c wrote:
I think this bike could have been the British Standard Adventure bike of it's day. Sounds like it still has a lot to offer.
Maybe a rude question but what would one these, in good condition, be worth? And what would the modern equivalent be?

Regards
J.

I built mine up from a Frame - cost me (IIRC) about 375 or so, all in.
I then sold it for about that price via this forum, that was a about three years ago.

I upgraded to a Thorn Raven. I do regret selling my 1d.

The Raven dont look too disimilar to my 1Down with long steerer - more slanted top tube though. What dont the Raven do that has you regretting selling the 1Down? Cost? The Raven aint cheap new - £2000 v £400? ( I would be frightened of it getting stolen...)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Maybe a rude question but what would one these, in good condition, be worth?

There was one on the for sale board not long ago that looked like a new bike,IIRC the asking price was quite low for what it offered.

And what would the modern equivalent be?

Regards
J.

I reckon the Thorn Sherpa is today's 1 Down/Sardar equivalent but with more size options to suit drops or flat bars,though no disc compatibility :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
700c

Post by 700c »

reohn2 wrote:I reckon the Thorn Sherpa is today's 1 Down/Sardar equivalent

I'd agree.
Si

Post by Si »

700c wrote:

I'd agree.

yup i looked at these, benefit over 1d was the lowrider mount. Disadvantage was the price. 400quid for a rack mou t was a bit too much so went for the 1d.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Si wrote:
700c wrote:

I'd agree.

yup i looked at these, benefit over 1d was the lowrider mount. Disadvantage was the price. 400quid for a rack mou t was a bit too much so went for the 1d.

well the One Down has its own type of lowrider mounts and low riders? I have found mine very solid & low profile. I suppose you have to buy an original bike to get these, any one who just got the frame wouldnt have these and they cannt be got as addons?

click to enlarge
lowrider
lowrider
Last edited by mercalia on 7 Jan 2017, 1:33pm, edited 4 times in total.
Si

Post by Si »

mercalia wrote:
Si wrote:
700c wrote:
I'd agree.

well the One Down has its own type of lowrider mounts and low riders? I have found mine very solid & low profile. I suppose you have to buy an original bike to get these, any one who just got the frame wouldnt have these and they cannt be got as addons?

i got the frame set and no sign of mounts - would be interested to see what the 1d specific mounts/lowriderz look like!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Si wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Si wrote:yup i looked at these, benefit over 1d was the lowrider mount. Disadvantage was the price. 400quid for a rack mou t was a bit too much so went for the 1d.

i got the frame set and no sign of mounts - would be interested to see what the 1d specific mounts/lowriderz look like!

simple bolt thru the fork. No twist possible as the low riders are 2 side at the bolt hole
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Si wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Si wrote:yup i looked at these, benefit over 1d was the lowrider mount. Disadvantage was the price. 400quid for a rack mou t was a bit too much so went for the 1d.

simple bolt thru the fork. No twist possible as the low riders are 2 side at the bolt hole. no wobble or give or movement at all. As the pics show they are very low indeed. WHen I have used them the front wheel has felt very sure footed
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Thats a Bor Yeuh rip-off of a Blackburn rack, I think.
See this thread.....and be careful out there......http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52885#p441163

EDIT.....https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/black-bor-yueh-custom-lowrider-front-rack/
Last edited by 531colin on 7 Jan 2017, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

531colin wrote:Thats a Bor Yeuh rip-off of a Blackburn rack, I think.
See this thread.....and be careful out there......http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52885#p441163

The One Down forks are much thicker than in the picture there esp at the bottom. Dont seem very like the Blackburn one at all re attachment. The forks are not those needle thin forks you get on some tourers as in the picture of the failed forks
Last edited by mercalia on 7 Jan 2017, 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Well, here is the Blackburn one........https://www.evanscycles.com/blackburn-cl1-custom-low-rider-rack-00120875

Thick forks won't help if the luggage goes into the wheel....... in fairness, it looks to me like the thing isn't properly fitted in CJ's picture.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

531colin wrote:Well, here is the Blackburn one........https://www.evanscycles.com/blackburn-cl1-custom-low-rider-rack-00120875

ok- if they were available 18 years ago then maybe thats the source of them? The forks/lowriders combination seem a very solid pair in my case. I think would take a considerable force to do what you suggest, the low rider it self would have to break. I have pulled and tugged at them and all that happens is the bike I am gripping starts to bend

nice to know that some like them is still available as you point out - but not sure I would want to use them on an little lugs welded onto the forks, that could be the risk of them ending up in the wheels - I have heard of some 1-Down users the rear rack lugs separating from the frame

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/black-bor-yueh-custom-lowrider-front-rack/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think the point being made about low riders that aren't braced with a loop over the wheel,is that if a bolt comes loose or the inside top strut fatigues at or near the fixing hole or the bottom P clip fitting fatigues, there's more chance of on side twisting and going into the wheel.
FWIW I've never liked them for that reason.
A conscientious owner will check for such possibilities on a regular basis,a really conscientious owner will use a braced and or steel lowrider IMO.
However many won't,one only needs look around at the state of a few bikes to understand what I mean.

I realise that leaves me wide open to people stating they've never had problems with their non braced alu low rider racks,but when was the last time you removed them and examined them closely?

A face plant isn't a pleasant plant :shock: and IMO they're not worth the risk
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden