Protecting Chrome

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mountainman531

Protecting Chrome

Post by mountainman531 »

Until quite recently most of my bikes have been kept in the house. Now most are in the garage which is a lock-up and it's damp in there in the winter. I've sprayed the nuts and bolts with white grease which forms an effective barrier against moisture (it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket!) But it dosen't look too good. So how to protect the chrome whilst still leaving it to look reasonably good?
Chrome is part way down the forks, drop outs and onr chain stay. I'm ordering a new frame soon too so would it be better without chrome if it's being kept in the garage?
meic

Re: Protecting Chrome

Post by meic »

Personally I hate chrome plating with a vengeance and would recommend not replacing it when you have the respray.

As for existing chrome plate. Chrome plate is surprisingly very porous!
Back in the good old days they would put a copper layer on the steel and then I think a nickel layer for good protection before applying the chrome on top of it.
Bearing in mind chrome's porous nature the best thing to do is to built up a good layer of wax polish and maintain it well.
Obviously you cant do this on braking surfaces.
Yma o Hyd
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

meic
Does a squirt of GT 85 offer any protection? That's what I use. Perhaps I should just put on car wax like the rest of the bike.
jonty
meic

Post by meic »

Yes the GT85 offers very temporary protection but if you are already wax polishing that is much better for your chrome plating than the GT85.
Yma o Hyd
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Try Vaseline or chainsaw chain oil.
prm

Post by prm »

Try using acrylic clear lacquer. Remove any traces of oil, dirt and grease first. Recommend Hycote brand.
Just sufficient covering to avoid runs. Chrome, castings, or any metal plating finish still shows through well, with very little masking.
Adds a slight sheen to matt black sprayed or powder coated finishes.
Original paint colouring remains unaffected and stable, but would recommend a trial area first, especially with older bikes.

Apart from the frame and brakes, I’ve always used it for virtually the complete bike.
Cleaning becomes much easier.
meic

Post by meic »

I didnt suggest lacquer because I had the feeling that it would crack off with the flexing of the forks.
I dont know if this would happen but I have had problems with lacquer not sticking to chrome before.
Yma o Hyd
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

You can get frame protector tape.

Like this:

http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?product=73