Best 26" wheels for touring south america

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dabster
Posts: 7
Joined: 31 Jan 2011, 5:16pm

Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby dabster » 20 Feb 2011, 3:03pm

Can someone please recommend me the Best 26" wheels for touring south america?

Valbrona
Posts: 2192
Joined: 7 Feb 2011, 4:49pm

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby Valbrona » 20 Feb 2011, 3:32pm

1/ Go for 36h. 32h rims/hubs might, in fact, be more widely available in South America than 36h, but 36h rims/hubs should nevertheless be obtainable. ANd 36h are, of course, that bit stronger than 32h.

2/ Go for Shimano/SRAM hubs because of the obtainability issue. Avoid Rohloff because if a tuck rolls over the back of your bike you will be much better off with derailleur gears.

3/ Plain gauge spokes. They are stronger than DB and replacements are more easily obtainable than DB.
I should coco.

willem jongman
Posts: 1987
Joined: 7 Jan 2008, 4:16pm

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby willem jongman » 20 Feb 2011, 3:44pm

I think the advice against the Rohloff hub is nonsense. By no wmany have travelled the far corners world of the world with them. And 32 spoke Rohloff wheels are very strong, because the wheel is not dished. Avoid the latest generation XT hubs. These now have thicker aluminium axles to loose some weight. Unfortunately the smaller balls also make for a less robust hub. LX is now the hun to get. If you wan to play safe take a spare freewheel mechanism with you. When a Shimano hub fails badly, it is often the freewheel mechanism. If you want really bombproof and don't mind the money get Phil Wood hubs. Most wheelbuilders will argue that butted spokes are actually stronger.
Willem

rualexander
Posts: 2343
Joined: 2 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Contact:

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby rualexander » 20 Feb 2011, 4:44pm

Sun Ryhno or Rigida Andra rims would be my suggestion, probably the Rigida Andra CSS version if you are away for more than six months.

PH
Posts: 7297
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby PH » 20 Feb 2011, 5:14pm

If you haven't already seen it Cass Gilbert's American blog is worth a look, he goes into a bit of detail about kit, but it's mainly worth looking at for the photos;
http://whileoutriding.com/
Have a great trip.

User avatar
531colin
Posts: 12448
Joined: 4 Dec 2009, 6:56pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby 531colin » 20 Feb 2011, 7:22pm

rualexander wrote:Sun Ryhno or Rigida Andra rims would be my suggestion, probably the Rigida Andra CSS version if you are away for more than six months.


AFAIK Andra rims have the spoke holes drilled at an angle to match the angle between the spoke and rim when using a very large hub, eg hub gear, hub brake, electric hub..........http://www.rigida.com/en/products/hybride-city/rims-5
this probably makes them unsuitable for normal size hub flanges.

rualexander
Posts: 2343
Joined: 2 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Contact:

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby rualexander » 20 Feb 2011, 7:34pm

531colin wrote:
rualexander wrote:Sun Ryhno or Rigida Andra rims would be my suggestion, probably the Rigida Andra CSS version if you are away for more than six months.


AFAIK Andra rims have the spoke holes drilled at an angle to match the angle between the spoke and rim when using a very large hub, eg hub gear, hub brake, electric hub..........http://www.rigida.com/en/products/hybride-city/rims-5
this probably makes them unsuitable for normal size hub flanges.

Best to check with the supplier I guess. SJSC have two versions, one for Rohloff (and presumably other high flange hubs), and one with regular spoke hole drilling.

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1472
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby georgew » 20 Feb 2011, 7:42pm

Valbrona wrote:
3/ Plain gauge spokes. They are stronger than DB and replacements are more easily obtainable than DB.


Well, I'm not sure this is true.

gilesjuk
Posts: 3270
Joined: 17 Mar 2008, 10:10pm

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby gilesjuk » 20 Feb 2011, 9:08pm

georgew wrote:
Valbrona wrote:
3/ Plain gauge spokes. They are stronger than DB and replacements are more easily obtainable than DB.


Well, I'm not sure this is true.


Indeed, DB are a bit more stretchy around the middle so will withstand more abuse before snapping.

Valbrona
Posts: 2192
Joined: 7 Feb 2011, 4:49pm

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby Valbrona » 20 Feb 2011, 9:27pm

gilesjuk wrote:
georgew wrote:
Valbrona wrote:
3/ Plain gauge spokes. They are stronger than DB and replacements are more easily obtainable than DB.


Well, I'm not sure this is true.


Indeed, DB are a bit more stretchy around the middle so will withstand more abuse before snapping.


Of course, DB spokes are more likely to flex rather than break when stressed. Great if you want a 'flexy' wheel. Build that exact same wheel in PG spokes and it will be noticably stiffer.
I should coco.

User avatar
531colin
Posts: 12448
Joined: 4 Dec 2009, 6:56pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby 531colin » 20 Feb 2011, 11:53pm

rualexander wrote:
531colin wrote:
rualexander wrote:Sun Ryhno or Rigida Andra rims would be my suggestion, probably the Rigida Andra CSS version if you are away for more than six months.


AFAIK Andra rims have the spoke holes drilled at an angle to match the angle between the spoke and rim when using a very large hub, eg hub gear, hub brake, electric hub..........http://www.rigida.com/en/products/hybride-city/rims-5
this probably makes them unsuitable for normal size hub flanges.

Best to check with the supplier I guess. SJSC have two versions, one for Rohloff (and presumably other high flange hubs), and one with regular spoke hole drilling.


That'll teach me for not checking your link!! Every day's a school day :shock:
(Actually, Rigida's own site is hopeless.)

User avatar
531colin
Posts: 12448
Joined: 4 Dec 2009, 6:56pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby 531colin » 21 Feb 2011, 12:30am

Valbrona wrote:
gilesjuk wrote:
Indeed, DB are a bit more stretchy around the middle so will withstand more abuse before snapping.


Of course, DB spokes are more likely to flex rather than break when stressed. Great if you want a 'flexy' wheel. Build that exact same wheel in PG spokes and it will be noticably stiffer.



Oooooh goody! loads of wheel myths!
You won't feel any difference between plain and butted spokes, any more than you feel a difference between large and small flange hubs, or deep and regular section rims. (Or wheels with the spokes at optimum tension, and wheels a bit slacker, come to that)
This is because the TYRE deforms exactly 593 times further than the wheel.
Spokes break at the bend due to fatigue. Even spokes that break in a crash were fatigued before the crash. You can break un-fatigued spokes, you get a ductile (plastic) failure, and a loud bang. (I have never done it in a wheel)
To increase spoke fatigue life, you need a rigid rim and stretchy spokes to "share out" a load between the maximum number of spokes. Or spokes thicker at the hub end. Or spokes made of fatigue resistant stainless. (See Sapim's website)
You can make the difference in "stretchiness" of plain (or single butted) spokes versus double butted work for you.
When you load a dished rear wheel, the non driveside (slacker) spokes will go slack while there is still some tension in the driveside spokes, so the driveside spokes pull the rim over. Ideally, you want stretchy spokes on the non driveside, and stiff spokes on the driveside, so both sides go slack at the same load and the rim stays straight.
The difference in stretchiness of plain (single butted) and double butted spokes is not enough to achieve this, but it goes some of the way.

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1472
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby georgew » 21 Feb 2011, 10:04am

531colin wrote:
Valbrona wrote:
gilesjuk wrote:



You can make the difference in "stretchiness" of plain (or single butted) spokes versus double butted work for you.
When you load a dished rear wheel, the non driveside (slacker) spokes will go slack while there is still some tension in the driveside spokes, so the driveside spokes pull the rim over. Ideally, you want stretchy spokes on the non driveside, and stiff spokes on the driveside, so both sides go slack at the same load and the rim stays straight.
The difference in stretchiness of plain (single butted) and double butted spokes is not enough to achieve this, but it goes some of the way.


This agrees with Paul Hewitt's methodology when building wheels. Rear are built with DB spokes on non-drive side and PB on drive side. Makes sense to me.

dabster
Posts: 7
Joined: 31 Jan 2011, 5:16pm

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby dabster » 21 Feb 2011, 1:03pm

willem jongman wrote:I think the advice against the Rohloff hub is nonsense. By no wmany have travelled the far corners world of the world with them. And 32 spoke Rohloff wheels are very strong, because the wheel is not dished. Avoid the latest generation XT hubs. These now have thicker aluminium axles to loose some weight. Unfortunately the smaller balls also make for a less robust hub. LX is now the hun to get. If you wan to play safe take a spare freewheel mechanism with you. When a Shimano hub fails badly, it is often the freewheel mechanism. If you want really bombproof and don't mind the money get Phil Wood hubs. Most wheelbuilders will argue that butted spokes are actually stronger.
Willem


Willem - when you say LX hubs are best to go for now, do you mean the Deore or SLX?

willem jongman
Posts: 1987
Joined: 7 Jan 2008, 4:16pm

Re: Best 26" wheels for touring south america

Postby willem jongman » 21 Feb 2011, 1:13pm

I think LX is now called SLX, but look for steel axles. Cannot get to the Shimano site at the moment.
Willem