Getting used to bar end shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
freebooter

Re: Getting used to bar end shifters

Post by freebooter »

I went for a ride on the slightly less deep bars yesterday and the bar ends felt much better. Obviously not as good as STIs but they felt as if I could get used to them and happily use them although if I was riding a lot in heavy traffic I would prefer the STIs.

I also picked up a compact drop bar so hopefully with that they will be even better.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

The other thing I learnt from using bar end's was to adjust the front mech cable clamp position. This is more relevent for road front mech, which give the lever a different position/action from when using a MTB mech. By adjusting the clamp so that the cable is actually a bit slack, this allows the lever to be set nearer the horizontal when it's set to big chain ring. Get the position just right and you can change down to to the middle ring with just a palm reflex (when holding the drops/bar end) - very quick and effective.

Oh, and I also remember using the bar ends very effectively as bar extensions, holding them as part of the bar, which also aids quick gear changes. I think this is why I keep banging on about having the drop handlebars set up high with these things. Any other position seems like a lost opportunity to me.
aprildavy

Post by aprildavy »

I too have nitto noodle handlebars with 9 spd bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy and find them easy to use. In heavy traffic, I go down on the drops most of the time and use my mirror a lot. I find the bar ends quite easy to reach for when on the hoods. Better than the original down tube levers, especially when turning right. If the bar ends a properly installed, you can grip them hard like a handlebar extension.

I think you'll get used to them in time
freebooter

Post by freebooter »

CREPELLO, good tip re the front setup. I had noticed the effect. I installed it with the lever in the full down position and I think it is level when on the big ring. I suppose if I just put the lever up a bit when installing I will get a range of movement from just above level to just below.

I went for a ride on the new compact bars today and the gear changing is fine. Having been undecided about handlebar/brake/shifter choice I think I will stay with this configuration now. I just need to decide on handlebar height and stem choice.
random37

Post by random37 »

You get used to anything after a while. To my mind, STIs are probably better in theory, but in practise I'm just as happy with downtube shifters and they're easier to work on (not that there's much in it).

I have a set I shall be listing here soon if you want to try STI on the cheap. 8)
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I was thinking about this today. I occasionally wish I had STIs, but most of the time I'm happy with my bar-end shifters.

I work on the principal that if I can ride singlespeed ok, then I can handle waiting for a few seconds to change gear if the situation doesn't allow it. Also, if you ride fixed, or if your brakes are rubbish, then you really learn to look ahead and anticipate. In the same way, I find myself switching gear earlier that I probably would with STIs so I'm back on the hoods early for whatever is coming up.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Just to go against the consensus: I tried bar end shifters and didn't get on with them at all. If you're doing a gear change that requires front and rear derailleurs you have to move both hands to the ends of the drops and back, whereas with down tube shifters you can operate both with the same hand. Plus they stick out, plus there's all that extra cable.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine