Cheap bike odometers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Cheap bike odometers

Postby reohn2 » 8 Mar 2011, 5:47pm

cycleruk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:These go on forever (well nearly) and are cheap:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Sigma-Baselin ... 45ed37dd18

Max' speed only 50 ??? :roll:
If that's 50k then thats only 31mph. :(
+1 though for Sigmas.

Bikemate are cheap and good but have far too many functions IMO.

I/we regularly do over 40 mph with a Sigma no problem.
A plus for the Bikemate is they are the same fitting kit as Sigma BC800 and 1200 :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

scottg

Postby scottg » 8 Mar 2011, 7:40pm

Lucas Mileometer, the green choice, no batteries.
Available from the backroom of your better quality ancient LBS.

Or declutter your bike and just remove the useless thing.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

stork

Postby stork » 8 Mar 2011, 9:02pm

I use Lidl and Halfords ones -- the Lidl ones being significantly cheaper and just as good, although I got the Halfords ones as end-of-line at a quite low price a while ago.

The only problems I've had are that I lost a spoke magnet hitting a large bump on a fast descent (lucky that's all I lost!), and that one of my bike computers doesn't sit particularly firmly in its clip (so it has been known to jump out when I've hit a big bump).

Last time Lidl had them, I picked up two so that I could run one in km (e.g. for Audaxes) and one in miles, and swap them between two different bikes.

At the price, you can't really go wrong. If you use Halfords, you can trim the cost using a cashback site (e.g. Topcashback) and/or you might be able to get discounted Halfords vouchers through your employer/union/other group.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 9 Mar 2011, 11:44am

Had 3 Aldi Bikemates for 3 years. Excellent wireless jobs, and they have a chest strap driven heart rate pulse monitor as well as speed, distance, total distance average speed, time, clock, calories, stopwatch, time, max speed, temperature, backlight. The heart rate can be displayed and a heart rate range set up. Fully waterproof. Great off road.

Here's the manual http://www.mcp-ag.net/download_pdfs/Fah ... Manual.pdf

Saying they are rubbish is rubbish. Where else offers 3 year warranty and costs only £12.99 !

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

meic

Postby meic » 9 Mar 2011, 8:55pm

I have a Blackburn Adelphi with a lifetime warranty which doesnt prevent it from being unreliable rubbish, as I didnt buy it from a shop on my doorstep using their guarantee system is more expensive than buying a new (preferably different company's) speedometer.
Yma o Hyd

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 9 Mar 2011, 9:14pm

I've been using a couple of ASDA 12 function wired ones made by Bell on my tandem for the past four years. They currently sell for £7 each. after a few years I did notice a bit of 'fogging' on one of them after a torrential down-pour and I just ruined both of them by forgetting to put my usual cling-film over them whilst the tandem was on the roof-rack. It rained hard on that occasion and I guess the 70MPH wind pressure did for them :-(

whilst back in ASDA to get another two, I noticed the Bell range now has a wireless version at £20 but I've no experience of that one.

One aspect to look out for with cheapie wireless, is their susceptibility to interference from electronic devices such as adjacent flashing LED lights, and GPS and in my case, my computer's VDU (odo spotted doing a 100mph when placed alongside!)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

michael Bloxham

Postby michael Bloxham » 9 Mar 2011, 9:42pm

Decalthon is the place to go if you have one local, I have four in use at the moment, simple, robust, big display and very good value for money, yet to break one. I do have a cateye one for sale on this forum as my new light caused too much interference for it to work.