Dymotec - larger pulley wheel?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
KEELIEDW

Dymotec - larger pulley wheel?

Post by KEELIEDW »

I've recently converted my dynamo system from halogen to LED front & rear lamps.
One major difference is the exceptional light output, even at a slow walking speed. My Bush & Muller Dymotec 6 bottle dynamo is now, in my opinion, pointlessly low-geared. It's presumably designed to satisfy legal minimum low speed light output when powering conventional bulbs. Does anyone know where I can get hold of a much larger pulley wheel, in order to reduce generator noise/effort?
javatime

Post by javatime »

Sorry, can't help with the pulley, but what lamps have you fitted as I want to upgrade too.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No real idea if any exist, sorry. But is it not possible to fit a rubber ring of sorts around the pulley, there-by increasing the effective diameter?

Just a thought, as an experiment ....

Mick F. Cornwall
KEELIEDW

Post by KEELIEDW »

javatime wrote:Sorry, can't help with the pulley, but what lamps have you fitted as I want to upgrade too.

I used the Bush & Muller Oval LED Dynamo basic model front, without standlight, and the Bush & Muller Toplight flat plus rear with standlight. Total cost for both was around £35 from <bike24> German website, plus about £3 postage. The transaction is made in Euros. Delivery was just 2 days!
Performance is very good, especially at low speed. A good Halogen headlamp with a "spotlight"-biased focus is probably a bit better at throwing a long range beam, but the LED is much better a short & middle distance. The rear light is the most powerful dynamo rear I've ever seen.
And no need to carry a spare bulb ever again!