Rusting brompton seatpost

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nutsey

Rusting brompton seatpost

Post by Nutsey »

Wodup

I was doing my regular Friday Brompton-clean when I noticed that there are spots of rust appearing on the seatpost, and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows a quick fix before it gets worse?

For those unfamiliar with the Brompton, its a very long and exposed seatpost that gets wet easily when riding. I have the telescopic variety but its the outer-layer that has the rust spots appearing. The bike is 9 months young. :oops:
Jonty

Re: Rusting brompton seatpost

Post by Jonty »

Nutsey
You're not supposed to put grease on a Brompton seat post presumably because the post is pulled out and retracted every time you fold the bike. Nevertheless I think I'd be tempted to spray GT 85 on it occasionally to protect it. Perhaps the rust spots will come off with some GT 85 and a good rub.
jonty
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Nutsey,

You are lucky it is only the seatpost that is rusting.

Have you checked the rest of it ?

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Why am I lucky? Are you suggesting these bikes rust after 9 months all over? :shock:

Its only some tiny spots on the tube. I keep it sparkling generally. Its on its 3rd chain as they seem to rust after a while. Its on its 3rd right pedal too.

The red paint on the frame is in tact, but the black text paint on top is coming off. Its a tough little trooper!
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Nutsey wrote:Why am I lucky? Are you suggesting these bikes rust after 9 months all over? :shock:

Its only some tiny spots on the tube. I keep it sparkling generally. Its on its 3rd chain as they seem to rust after a while. Its on its 3rd right pedal too.

The red paint on the frame is in tact, but the black text paint on top is coming off. Its a tough little trooper!

Yes I most certainly am,the quality of the paintwork,certainly on mine anyway,is absolutely appalling.

There appears to be one thin layer of paint and that is it,no primer,nothing.Scratch that and that is it......rust.

I am so sick of Hammeriting the rust since it was a few months old I think a respray is in order,done properly this time.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Tandem Man wrote:
Nutsey wrote:Why am I lucky? Are you suggesting these bikes rust after 9 months all over? :shock:

Yes I most certainly am,the quality of the paintwork,certainly on mine anyway,is absolutely appalling.

There appears to be one thin layer of paint and that is it,no primer,nothing.Scratch that and that is it......rust.

I am so sick of Hammeriting the rust since it was a few months old I think a respray is in order,done properly this time.

Ian

Sad to hear that. Some batches have better paint jobs than others? You live near the sea? Red is thicker? :D
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Nutsey wrote:
Tandem Man wrote:

Ian

Sad to hear that. Some batches have better paint jobs than others? You live near the sea? Red is thicker? :D

No,nowhere near the sea.

Not long after I bought it I returned it to Brompton as the paint was so crap,they said it was OK and that green was there "toughest" colour.

Ho,ho,ho.

Mudguards and stays are rubbish as well.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

The little rubber flap fell off my rear guard... not noticed a difference tho.

What the Brompton really needs is a chain guard, cos that thing gets raped by road crud
caer urfa

Post by caer urfa »

Have a 2009 black Brompton, bought new from dealership in March 2010, not out in any severe weather and probably most exposure to the wet was during the occasional wash. Rust on chrome-plated nuts etc by the "front steering bearing housing".

Need to check the warranty small print?

Love the bike even though had a p**%%u** on the (modest) 2.5 mile commute home on Mon which became a walk (no spanner, nor the inclination, to deal with the wheel removal etc) - fixed on arrival home. A 10 minute or so ride became 35 minute walk. Vowed to replace basic high pressure tyres with something a bit more robust after first (inevitable) burst, but haven't done it yet.

CU