Car racks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mountainman531

Car racks

Post by mountainman531 »

I am considering getting a tow bar fitted rack and I am inclined to go for one where the wheels sit secured in the rack rather than one with top tube clamping.

Does anyone know of the pros and cons of each type which I may not have thought of?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Car racks

Post by Mick F »

We have one of these, but they are the only ones I have experience of.

The bikes go on easily enough, but you have to keep them from rubbing against each other and it takes a bit of fiddling to get the pedals out of the way of the central support. Also you may need to mount the bikes Top-to-Tail.

http://www.leisureshack.co.uk/thule-950 ... rrier.aspx
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

We may be at cross-purposes here ... the towbar racks that have the bike(s) standing on their wheels in a channel also have a design with a clamp that holds the frame (obviously!) - it's usually the top-tube - depending on the size and design of the bike-frame.

I use a Thule towbar rack - that has a bar with a screw-up (and lockable) plastic clamp that grabs the top-tube/crossbar - I have a bit of pipe lagging to protect the paintwork, the clamp alone is fine - but vibration may rub the paint. Mine is a two-bike rack - there are 2 different length bars to "lift and separate" :wink: the bikes - have to say it's very stable.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

I bought a Thule bike rack for the tow bar, but I saw a Pendle one which are much better not long after I bought it.

No tow bar now, so I have a roof mounted Thule carrier, they do rub the paint/metal.
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

Mick F wrote:We have one of these, but they are the only ones I have experience of.

The bikes go on easily enough, but you have to keep them from rubbing against each other and it takes a bit of fiddling to get the pedals out of the way of the central support. Also you may need to mount the bikes Top-to-Tail.

I have one similar to this as well but I think mine is an older model. The only problem is when I mount my 2 straight handle bar bikes on it the handle bar of one bike hits the other bikes saddle and it does't quite fit. I slight change in saddle or handlebar position is all that it takes to make them fit.

It is stable and the bikes are secure when travelling. The picture on leisureshack website indicates it is easy to drop the rack to access the boot, this maybe a feature of the newer version as mine would be difficult to drop as it is adjusted by a large spanner, and would be impossible to raise again without help. But this may be because it is older.

If you are buying the extra lock to secure it to the tow bar then you can specify the key number so it matches other Thule locks you may have for roof boxes or roof bars. I didn't so now have 2 similar keys one for the bike rack and one for the roof bars.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Mick F wrote:We have one of these, but they are the only ones I have experience of.

I have a three bike version of that make - and have never yet managed to three bikes on it. Having said that, it is very secure and easy to fit/use. It lives permanently in the boot when not attached so is always at hand should yet another restoration project present itself :oops: . I dare say it would be possible to carry three machines if the handlebars were turned through 90 degrees each time but that's too much faffing about especially on some of the 'antique' stuff I use :wink: If you have the choice, go for the three bike version, stick to two bikes, and it'll give you plenty of room to play with.

Steve
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

For years we used one of these:

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/W ... e-Rack.php

Weighed a ton but was super strong and stable. Held the bikes against the uprights with 'bungee' straps. Put some pipe lagging around the uprights for the 'best bikes' to stop rubbing. Used it behind hefty vehicles...VW camper and Volvo estates.

Sold it (on here) when changed to smaller car and only needed to carry 2 bikes.

Hope this info helps!
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Greybeard wrote:

I have a three bike version of that make - and have never yet managed to three bikes on it. Having said that, it is very secure and easy to fit/use. It lives permanently in the boot when not attached so is always at hand should yet another restoration project present itself :oops: . I dare say it would be possible to carry three machines if the handlebars were turned through 90 degrees each time but that's too much faffing about especially on some of the 'antique' stuff I use :wink: If you have the choice, go for the three bike version, stick to two bikes, and it'll give you plenty of room to play with.

Steve

I also have the 3-bike version and have successfully fitted 3 bikes on it on many occasions, even though they were awkward shapes (proper tourers are the worst, drop bars clashing with rear racks). It takes a bit of practice, several luggage straps and usually some bits of pipe lagging to avoid them rubbing, and occasionally I've had to resort to taking a pedal off - but it's still so much quicker, easier and more secure than my old strap-on carrier. I've never yet had to resort to turning the handlebars round. On the plus side, its compact size (for this type of rack) means it fits neatly in the boot, which is handy for security when leaving the car parked up for the day.

As for wheel-support versus hanging... hanging racks are a pain for compact frames and "women's" frames, and it's even more work to stop multiple bikes from bashing each other. But I guess they take up even less space in the boot.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I have a Thule Euroride (?) tow bar mount rack for two bikes. Wheels sit strapped in gutters with clamps for each bike to top tube, or seat post.

I've fitted various combinations of Road, Hybrid and MTB without any contact ( :D :D ) - albeit occasionally having to make some horizontal adjustments and or twisting handlebars - and of course positioning cranks out of each others reach. Although most combinations go on with no adjustments. And certainly no padding required, which is a godsend. I am particularly pedantic about paint marks :oops: This carrier is a fantastic product.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/23982/Thu ... rrier.html
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

After seeing a Pendle rack in the metal last week I decided that it was just the sort of thing I needed for lugging around the real means of transport :wink: so I ordered one. I went for the 4-bike version so that I could fit three vintage jobbies on it with ease. It hasn't dissappointed. Arrived very quickly indeed and is extremely stable and well made. I can even stand on it (something I wouldn't try with the Thule) without any signs of it letting go - which is no mean feat, let me assure you :oops: I dare say that I probably weigh a little bit more than four bikes (who said, 'with their riders' ?:evil: ). Pendle have also agreed to sell me a pair of the shorter mounting arms so that I can use it as a more compact 1/2 bike carrier when needed for just 20 quid :P
A cracking company to deal with and a very good product - a bit more pricey than some of the competition, but well worth it :roll:

Steve (wot loves to buy good quality stuff made in the UK)
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

The big problem with the Thule I had was that the bikes were held in place with wheel straps and a strap around the frame support. The bikes roll back and forth when driving, so while they never did come lose it seems a flawed design.

The pendle racks have wheel supports that stop this side to side movement.