Touring clothing advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tomjw

Touring clothing advice

Post by tomjw »

I am doing a 3 week tour from South to North Spain n May/June. I am wondering what are the best shorts/T-shirts to buy.
It will be quite hot in Andalucia at that time but may be rainy in Galicia in the North. I want optimum comfort with lightness and fast drying. Altura gear seems very good. Also I have a Gortex top for possible rain and am not planning on taking w/proof overtrouses - is this wise ? As a newcomer to long distance cycling I would be grateful for advice.
Andy Tallis

Re:Touring clothing advice

Post by Andy Tallis »

I've been out in all weathers this winter day-riding and not worn overtrousers: they're far too uncomfortable for me. If you're going to hot climates it's probably not worth carrying them. A lightweight windbreaker/ showerproof may be worth carrying though for use in light rain.
Pedalling Pete

Post by Pedalling Pete »

For daily cycling over 3 weeks, I personally would rely on padded bibshorts. As they need regular washing, maybe two or even 3 pairs, which could prove expensive if just for the tour. Three years ago I found the Endura Voyager model was a good compromise between lycra and the "Baggies" style. If you insist on T-Shirts, a good Coolmax material model would be best in the heat. But again I would choose a short-sleeved cycling jersey, which has pockets in the back. For Summer heat I would choose a full-zip model. A bit more difficult to find are Full-zip sleeveless jerseys, though you will need sunscreen on the exposed upper arm.
Pat

Post by Pat »

When it starts raining and the weather is hot, the most comfortable wet weather gear I have found is the traditional cycle cape, it is waterproof but at the same time allows plenty of fresh cooling air to circulate round you.
It also keeps your legs dry as you cycle along.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

'Lidl' supermarket chain is currently selling cycling gear, considerably cheaper than the high street cycle shops but not quite the same range or quality, cheap and cheerful though.
There's a lot to be said for the traditional cape and if your lucky enough to find a 'sowester' waterproof hat too you should stay relatively dry during the monsoons.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I leave my legs bare on wet touring days in hot places, though I do take a lightweight pair of Altura nylon overshoes to keep my feet dry and blister free.
PW

Post by PW »

In hot weather I prefer a conventional cotton shirt with a collar & long sleeves. Collar & sleeves can be up or down depending if you need to cool off or keep the sun off sore skin. If it gets really hot soak the shirt in water, it cools you as it dries. Same trick applies to sunhats, but I believe helmets are now mandatory in Spain.