Crank bolts; so many to choose from.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Barrenfluffit

Crank bolts; so many to choose from.

Post by Barrenfluffit »

I forgot to order the bolts with my XD-2 crankset. The p&p is as much as the item from spa but Chain reaction are doing free postage.
They sell 18 different types. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... 4QoduxRiCw

Will they all fit a JP400 bottom bracket?
For touring self extracting bolts look sensible? Is there a drawback?

Anything else I need to know about choosing crank bolts?
(for instance Middleton self extractors are £19 whilst Brand x are £7, seems a big difference for something with the same function and appearance)

Your thoughts?
Father Jack

Re: Crank bolts; so many to choose from.

Post by Father Jack »

Avoid Chain Reaction Cycles. They sold a ready made bike to someone, and it arrived in pieces, refused to take it back or build it for him, and offered £30 voucher.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Ok worked it out. The difference is the different types of crank interface; eg square taper.

thanks.
bensonboo

Post by bensonboo »

Father Jack wrote:Avoid Chain Reaction Cycles. They sold a ready made bike to someone, and it arrived in pieces, refused to take it back or build it for him, and offered £30 voucher.

Equally I've placed many orders and returned stuff and had no problems, quick delivery too. Every shop has good and bad days, good and bad customers too.

I won't be avoiding them.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Father Jack wrote:Avoid Chain Reaction Cycles. They sold a ready made bike to someone, and it arrived in pieces, refused to take it back or build it for him, and offered £30 voucher.

Thread here on Chain Reaction.... viewtopic.php?t=9511 As you would expect from any company doing an enormous amount of business, they have a few dissatisfied customers. Personally I've had excellent service from them and many others have posted on that thread to say the same.

Graham
sleeping_menace

Post by sleeping_menace »

CRC has been great to me.. I've bought everything from very large orders, to tiny bits and pieces, and their service has always been excellent, never had any problem with returns either.. .. am very happy with them..
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

I like self extracting crank bolts. Brand-X or Stronglight are cheap enough and do the job, for bling the TA ones get my vote but they are £11 though you will also need a tool with some pins for the cap.
I've never had any bother with CRC. What bugs me elsewhere is ordering something online then finding that they haven't got the parts in stock.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s173p0
Last edited by cycloret on 9 Apr 2011, 12:20pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Barrenfluffit wrote:I forgot to order the bolts with my XD-2 crankset. The p&p is as much as the item from spa but Chain reaction are doing free postage.
They sell 18 different types. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... 4QoduxRiCw

Will they all fit a JP400 bottom bracket?
For touring self extracting bolts look sensible? Is there a drawback?

Anything else I need to know about choosing crank bolts?
(for instance Middleton self extractors are £19 whilst Brand x are £7, seems a big difference for something with the same function and appearance)

Your thoughts?

Only the ones with 8mm bolts are suitable. The others are for non-square taper BBs (Isis etc).
On that page, it's just the two £1.99 Brand-X, or the £18.99 Middeburn self-extractors.
I'm not sure on the £7 Brand-X self-extractors. Either the description is wrong or the photo is wrong, 'cos what's shown is for either Isis or Octalink.

The smaller 6mm allen head on the Middleburn self-extracting bolts makes it difficult to get the crank bolts properly tight. I use bolts like the £1.99 allen key ones, and carry a single self-extracting bolt as a spare-cum-crank remover along with my other touring spares (rack bolts or SPD bolts etc), and use the proper crank remover tool at home.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

thank you, Andrew and Cycloret, most helpful,
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

andrew_s wrote:I'm not sure on the £7 Brand-X self-extractors. Either the description is wrong or the photo is wrong, 'cos what's shown is for either Isis or Octalink.

Well they came and fitted on the square taper. The outer also screwed in but uses a pin hole type arrangement to screw in. It was manageable with pliers but not ideal, will need keeping an eye on.

thanks
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'd have guessed it was the photo that was wrong.

The usual tool is a red Park pin spanner
meic

Post by meic »

I bought one of these and then found that it doesnt fit the Campagnolo end caps that I was trying to remove, they have a slightly different distance between the pin holes so the tool in the post above would be fine but not as portable.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27808
Yma o Hyd