Worn cassette

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mountainman531

Worn cassette

Postby mountainman531 » 14 Apr 2011, 9:31am

I usually have a cheap sram chain which I change every 1,000 miles or so for the longevity of the cassette.
However, I've obviously overdone it this time as I changed the chain and the new chain jumped and not just on the mid-range sprockets.
So I have put the old chain back on. The chainrings are hardly worn and I have a new rear mech on with, obviously, new jockey wheels.
The question is how long do I go with the old chain and cassette? I don't want to wear the chainrings or jockey wheels by carrying on using a "stretched" chain.

Thanks,

Steve

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Worn cassette

Postby Mick F » 14 Apr 2011, 9:56am

How long is a piece of string ....

Obviously you know that the only cure is a new cassette to go with your new chain, but I'm sure you can go with your old ones for now, but the sooner you bite the bullet and get a new cassette the better.

Make sure you keep your old drive-train as clean as you can, that way your chainrings will be happier.
Mick F. Cornwall

byegad

Postby byegad » 14 Apr 2011, 11:30am

It is not the jockey wheels that will suffer its the chain rings. If you wait long enough it'll be a whole new drive chain to replace. As above it's string measuring time.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

horizon

Postby horizon » 14 Apr 2011, 11:31am

Steve: are you sure your chain has actually stretched? I forked out £9.00 for a Park chain tool and spent a happy half hour checking most of our bikes - it's quite a fun tool to use and very simple (even for me). The results were not what I expected: yes, the usual suspect was, but others I had thought would be stretched weren't and vice versa.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher