Chains - lubing and splitting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Graham O

Chains - lubing and splitting

Post by Graham O »

This may sound a naive question, but where are we meant to apply lube to the chain? To the side plates, to the inside of the rollers, to the outside or is it just anywhere and wipe off the excess? I've read all the debate on various lubes, and have tried WD40, 3 in 1, sewing machine oil, green waxy stuff and Finish Line Dry. Apart from the waxy stuff, they all seem to work okay, but the chain does get blackened and dirty builds up. My problem with the waxy stuff is if the solvent evaporates before it has penetrated.

Secondly, I have a Campag 9 speed Veloce C9 chain which is very nice as it doesn't rust. However, it now needs to be removed for a good cleaning and to check wear. Can any rivet be removed? How do I rejoin it or join a replacement? A break off rivet?

Any help, much appreciated,

Thanks

Graham
Sailing7

Re: Chains - lubing and splitting

Post by Sailing7 »

You don't need to remove the chain to check wear, use a metal ruler with inches and see how much 12 links under tension measure. I believe anything under 12 & 1/8 inches is fine but anything over is bad news. However, I use a tool that slides between several links and by the amount it drops down between the links gives me a read out as to percentage wear. Some will say that the tool is more accurate as it includes any play in the rollers in it's calculation but the old fashioned ruler is probably just as good.

As for chain lube I'd have to give a big thumbs up for Pro Gold - it doesn't attract dirt like any of the others (Finish Line, White Lightning, WD40, 3 in 1, except Rock'n'Roll which there are good things said about but which I haven't tried). Not sure about its enviromental credentials as it's very refined...

If you really want to take the chain off I'd recommend getting some Campy specific KMC quick links, see below for one source:
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=995
but you'd have to break the chain and take out a link.