Using ''old'' handlebar bags with threadless/clamped headset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Neil Fox

Using ''old'' handlebar bags with threadless/clamped headset

Post by Neil Fox »

I have an old Karrimor handlebar bag (early 80's) that was designed for use with threaded/quill headsets and 'swans-neck' stems. The mounting mechanism is a piece of mild steel bar, about 5mil diameter that loops under the 'swans neck' presents two prongs foward of the bike on which the (un-stiffened) bag slides and sits. The modern style of handlebar stem that clamps on to a threadless headset tube is two wide and chunky for the bag frame mentioned above. Does anybody have any experience and advice on a way to upgrade the mounting mechanism in some way to use the bag on a 'modern' bike? I've considered using a handlebar 'T' mount, as used for lights, to slide the bag frame on to. However, my concern is that the mount would not be able to cope with anything but a very lightly loaded bag.
CJ

Re:Using ''''old'''' handlebar bags with threadless/clamped

Post by CJ »

You want the "with horns" version of the Rixen & Kaul "Klick-fix" handlebar bag support. This has a steel-wire "bag-bow" with two prongs or horns exactly as you describe, that clips into the bracket. With a few (rare) exceptions, the bracket can be fitted to any usual handlebar and stem.

If you can't find it in any British shops, see here: http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm ... =0&CID=175
Neil Fox

Re:Using ''''old'''' handlebar bags with threadless/clamped

Post by Neil Fox »

Thanks very much CJ, from the web link pictures what you suggest looks like a solution. The task now is to hunt down a UK stockist.