FLYING SCOT

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
borderglider

FLYING SCOT

Postby borderglider » 11 May 2011, 7:26pm

I recently acquired a nice Flying Scot from a guy who used to 'exhibit' it in vintage vehicle rallies in Scotland - he also restored lovely old Norton motorbikes.
Anyway I have placed a gallery of photos of this mystery bike on Flickr here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/borderglider/sets/72157626698575794/with/5710874506/
You can see the photos as a slideshow on Flickr via this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/borderglider/sets/72157626698575794/show/

The mystery is that he told me that the bike was 'original' - although he had hand-painted it at some time. I have previously owned a Flying Scot which came complete with all-Campagnolo chainset, Cinelli bars and that level of gear. This Scot has Raleigh steel wheels, Sachs Huret derailleur and changers and GB Coureur '66' brakes, plus Raleigh handlebars and a Milremo stem. He told me that this was the way that the bike had originally been built - and implied that it was very old.

The bottom bracket is Nervex and is stamped '5-95H' - although it could be '5-85H' (obscured by paint_.

If anyone has any advice on what year this might have been made I would be really grateful to know.

Also, is it likely that Rattrays would ever have supplied Scots with Raleigh steel wheels and Sachs Huret derailleurs - the cranks are 'Custom' alloys but I think the chainwheels are stainless steel.

The bike is far too tall for me - it is a 60cm seat tube and the crossbar stands 33 inches off the floor - my inside leg is just 30 inches; so I may be looking to swap it for a smaller Flying Scot if I can find one in similar condition.
Last edited by borderglider on 11 May 2011, 7:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

531colin

Re: FLYING SCOT

Postby 531colin » 11 May 2011, 7:42pm

At the very least there has been swapping of cycle parts going on.
If the frame had been made for 10 speed, I would expect cable guides both sides of the BB. EDIT...forget that, just looked properly at the pictures!! :oops: :oops:
You will need to take a close look at some known Flying Scots ....I would expect a top quality frame to have top eyes, this one clearly has top plate.http://www.ceeway.com/Top%20Eyes.htm
Edit again...it may be quite old...when did they stop putting grease nipples on the head tube?

borderglider

Postby borderglider » 11 May 2011, 8:00pm

Thanks Colin - I used to have a Flying Scot a long time ago but it went to my friend Jeff Groman's cycle museum at 'Classic Cycle' in Bainbridge, Seattle. it also was far too tall for me - which is how he managed to get it off me! There used to be a wonderful Flying Scot website created by Bob Reid - which was the literal A-Z of Rattrays creations - but it has lapsed and Bob has gone off the radar (last heard of in Stonehaven; come back Bob, we need you).

All I have gleaned so far is that Rattrays began stamping reference numbers under the bottom bracket in 1949 and using alphabetic letters to mark the year in 1949 - which would have been 'A' ? So that would imply this was 8 years later - and 'H' would be 1957 or thereabouts? I got that info from 'Paris Roubaix's' web gallery on Flickr and am waiting for a reply from him.

Anyway - no hurry and thanks for the information you have already given me. :D

531colin

Postby 531colin » 11 May 2011, 9:16pm

I am a bit surprised to see cable fittings for 10 speed on the same frame as a head tube nipple....somebody who knows might even date it from that.
I do think its had cycle parts from a "donor" Raleigh.....wheels, bars, the chainset is a cheapish S R (Sakae?) "Custom" with steel rings, the big ring is not replaceable....and who fixed the F. mech. halfway up the seat tube?

rjb

Postby rjb » 11 May 2011, 9:46pm

I purchased a similar headset to the one fitted in the late 60's. Can't remember the make but it's claim to fame was the V shaped races which provided a 4 point contact to the balls. I may still have it lurking in the bottom of my scrap bin - if i find it i will post a picture here. This may help with dating the bike.
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

spanner

Postby spanner » 13 May 2011, 8:13pm

i own two flying scot continentals these are distiguished by the saddlebag support rack on the rear,going by the frame number this makes it a 1958 scot the number should also be stamped on the rear of the front fork crown.
as regards the components no two flying scots had the same components as they were built for each customer some owners just bought a frameset and transferred the parts from their old bike, as an example my 59 scot has its original components benelux rear mech dunlop chromed steel rims sturmey dynohub on the front wheel yet my 57 scot which i bought from a veteran cycle club ex member has campag mechs and weinmann alloy rims but these are year related being 40/32 holed rims the handlebars and stem are gb and the brakes are also gb sidepulls but are again age related it was built up by one of our other members for this member,who acquired it from someone else in the section who believe it or not got it from someone else in the section.
i wouldnt worry about the components side of things too much the bike is useable thats the main thing as regards it being too large for the rider it sounds as if it is a 24 inch frame these are prettt rare as not that many 24 inch frames were made they were mostly 19 20 21 22 23 231/2
going by the photos it is a nice looking bike though
my 57 scot is g and the 59 scot is I

spanner

Postby spanner » 13 May 2011, 8:26pm

531colin wrote:At the very least there has been swapping of cycle parts going on.
If the frame had been made for 10 speed, I would expect cable guides both sides of the BB. EDIT...forget that, just looked properly at the pictures!! :oops: :oops:
You will need to take a close look at some known Flying Scots ....I would expect a top quality frame to have top eyes, this one clearly has top plate.http://www.ceeway.com/Top%20Eyes.htm
Edit again...it may be quite old...when did they stop putting grease nipples on the head tube?

I think this was down to individual choice when the frame was made for the customer my 59 scot has a headtube grease nipple and my 57 scot doesnt and ive seen a lot of scots in the past 10 years on vcc runs as being the scottish section we covet the flying scot they are beautiful bikes to ride ive been all over scotland on my 57 scot during the past year since i bought it and also use it as an everyday bike

borderglider

Postby borderglider » 14 May 2011, 12:11am

Thanks for all the advice and info. The good news is that Bob Reid's much lamented 'Flying Scot' website is going to be back up and running in a few days.
He has already placed a front page on the web at http://www.flying-scot.com and has promised to load all his superb archive back onto the new site.
Last edited by borderglider on 14 May 2011, 8:18am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 14 May 2011, 8:08am

Tremendous blingy bike.
jonty