New bike, or new groupset and wheels .. seeking advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JennyAdcock

New bike, or new groupset and wheels .. seeking advice

Postby JennyAdcock » 14 May 2011, 1:03pm

I love my bike, its fun, its nippy and its beautiful. Unfortunately she is looking a little worse for wear these days after nearly 10k miles. The components are starting to wear out.

I was discussing options on a ride where I was weighing up new bike options from the Specialized Dolce Sport up to the Ruby Specialized Elite. I was weighing up the cost/reward and the components that came with each bike when the suggestion came "Why not just buy a new groupset and wheels?"

It seems that for around 600 to 700 pounds I could gain high quality base components to fit the frame of my bike (A Specialized Dolce 2010). Essentially I could buy a Shimano 105 triple groupset and then pick and choose my wheels. But this is where I would like some advice ... :)

I am looking at the Shimano 105 5700 Triple 10-speed Groupset as I have heard its a good groupset to add. But does that mean its the right one? I really have no idea with wheels and do not like near a large supplier with a large choice.

So does anyone here have experience to offer with regards to upgrading components?
Should I attempt to upgrade myself (with some help) or pay my LBS to fit the components?
Is my first choice of groupset sensible considering my intended use? I cycle to work every day and cycle at weekends doing around 150 miles a week, so I need durable components. I clean/measure/replace my chain reguarly and perform my own maintenance, I would look after the new parts over winter.

Any help would be appreciated :)

herzog

Re: New bike, or new groupset and wheels .. seeking advice

Postby herzog » 14 May 2011, 1:23pm

Hi,

What kind of bike do you have? If you love it, I'd upgrade it...
Is a totally new groupset needed? The chainrings and cassette may need changing, but do the the shifters, brakes, and front/rear mechs? New wheels should be fairly straightforward depending on the OLD of your frame. Have a look at Wiggle or chain reaction cycles websites to get an idea of prices.

With basic mechanical knowledge replacing parts is easy (assuming you are replacing like with like; i.e., same BB type, same gear set-up). By replacing the parts one at a time, you can just work backwards when putting the new one on.

Herzog

531colin

Postby 531colin » 14 May 2011, 1:45pm

herzog wrote:Hi,

What kind of bike do you have? If you love it, I'd upgrade it...
Is a totally new groupset needed? The chainrings and cassette may need changing, but do the the shifters, brakes, and front/rear mechs? New wheels should be fairly straightforward depending on the OLD of your frame. Have a look at Wiggle or chain reaction cycles websites to get an idea of prices.

With basic mechanical knowledge replacing parts is easy (assuming you are replacing like with like; i.e., same BB type, same gear set-up). By replacing the parts one at a time, you can just work backwards when putting the new one on.

Herzog

+1

I would just replace the worn bits, unless there is something daft like its cheaper to buy a whole new chainset than replace the rings. Cranks don't wear out! However, replacement chainrings can be harder wearing than originals, if you choose the right alloy.
Again, hubs should outlast more than one set of rims, unless they are cheap hubs or you havn't greased them. Get a new pair of wheels, then you have got time to have the old hubs re-built, and hey presto, a spare set of wheels! As you check your chain wear, there will be no problems swapping wheels. Its very liberating, having a spare set of wheels.....almost as liberating as having a spare bike or two.....(careful! this is how it starts!)
First make sure nothing is corroded into the frame.(seatpost, BB....stem should be ahed, so OK)

JennyAdcock

Postby JennyAdcock » 14 May 2011, 2:39pm

Thank you for the replies. I have no room for many spares or bikes .. but the temptation is there ... :oops:

The reason I was thinking of the entire groupset is that I feel ready for an upgrade. I wish to use a higher range of gears and you cannot use the same 8 speed STI levers for what I am seeking.
If I put this is context, this is my first road bike and to me at the time 550 pounds was a fortune to spend on a bike. I was being careful and light with my spend, aware I could ruin top end components (which I would have!). Now I'm a little more experienced and understand bike maintenance more, I feel I could maintain a higher end option.

A spare set of wheels is tempting .. This could be very dangerous and a slippery slope ... :shock:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 May 2011, 2:53pm

I was in the same situation as you back in 2004.

I hadn't ridden my bike for some years :oops: due to renovating our bungalow and hacking/slashing the forest of a back garden. Eventually, I started riding again. However, we had a computer then, and I started looking at stuff on the web and seeing that my bike was almost antiquated!

My frame is precious to me, so I set about looking for components to modernise the bike. I went for Campag Mirage 9sp groupset from Ribble and a pair of Mirage/MA3 wheels. I was ecstatic! It was wonderful!

Previously, the bike was Stronglight99 double, Campag Victory gears with Suntour Ultra 7sp on Campag Record/MA40 wheels, so coming up to date with Ergos and indexed 9sp was a complete revelation to me and I've never looked back as I've upgraded again to Chorus 10sp.

........ and I still have the same 'bars, stem and seatpin I've had since 1986!

So my advice is if you're happy with the frame and some parts of the bike, replace/upgrade as you think fit. Do it, you know it makes sense! :D
Mick F. Cornwall

531colin

Postby 531colin » 14 May 2011, 3:00pm

Ummm...£550 new? Unlikely to be the lightest of frames?
You could be looking at close to £550 for new wheels and a whole new 105 groupset....are you sure the frame is worth such a big upgrade?

Big T

Postby Big T » 14 May 2011, 5:52pm

The frames on most Specialized Dolce models are the same I think, so you're not going to gain a better frame by buying a new bike unless you upgrade to a Ruby. Tiagra/105 does work better than Sora and the new 105 5700 groupset has the new levers which have the gear cables routed under the bar tape, like Campag. The wheels were probably cheap and heavy and you could get lighter weight and better performance by upgrading to a pair of quality handbuilt wheels.

Or you could keep your existing bike for winter use, and have a new bike to ride in the dry and summer conditions. This will last much longer as it is winter use which really wears out components.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev

emil

Postby emil » 16 May 2011, 3:55pm

Hi Jenny, although male I also have Specialized Dolce. The 2009 Elite model. Like you I love the the bike. Mine came with a 9 speed Tiagra geartrain and after some 15k miles is still giving good service.
I upgraded the noname brakes to Tiagra and changed the seatpost and saddle and added better wheels, (Mavic Askiums with Conti Gatorskins). I use it as my good weather bike and as you say it.s lovely to ride. There is picture on the Trek Pilot 1.2 thread on "Does anyone know" Regarding the new Dolce bikes Spesh seemed to have changed the specs. My 2009 one came with carbon seatstays and forks both with zertz inserts. As Mick has advised if you are happy with the frame, upgrade. I will do the same to 105 when needed. Good luck.