SH56 Cleats with M324 pedals for beginners. Any advice?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MartinPettit

SH56 Cleats with M324 pedals for beginners. Any advice?

Post by MartinPettit »

Hi,

Long story. Tried cleats 10 years ago and didn't get on with them. I think it may be because my natural foot position is with toes pointing outwards slightly, and when clipped into pedals using the single release (if I remember rightly), I found it REALLY difficult to twist my heel out enough to disengage from the pedals. Also, there were no pedals out there for me to use when on short trips to the shops/friends when i didn't want to be clipped in.
fell out of love with biking for a while, but i am now getting back into it, partly to help strengthen legs and cure knee issues.

I have an opportunity to buy some Shimano PD-M324 pedals, and am thinking of giving cleats another go to replace my toe straps. I also notice there are now these multi release cleats SM-SH56, I think they are, and wondered what are peoples opinions of them for beginners?
Specific questions:
Can I adjust cleats on the 324s to fit my splayed out toe stance, or should i be setting them straight and forcing my feet to point forwards?
Does this cause knee issues if my feet are not naturally sitting how they would if not snapped in?
I can twist my heel IN quite a long way, but not out. Is this a practical way to set up the cleats for disengaging?

All thoughts on the 324 pdeal - sh56 cleat combo gratefully received.

I have a Specialized Rockhopper MTB with drops and mostly ride trails or roads, but occasionally go off-road still, if it helps.

Also, any shoe recommendations - would prefer recessed cleats and I am skint...
fatboy

Re: SH56 Cleats with M324 pedals for beginners. Any advice?

Post by fatboy »

I started out with M324 pedals and SH56 cleats which was a good introducion. You can set the cleats on your shoes to suit your foot splay The multi-release is a bit easier to get used to but the main benefit of the M324 style pedals is the fact that you clip out ahead of traffic lights etc.

However the key issue with M324 is the fact that you cannot service the pedals without a ludicrously expensive Shimano tool; that's why these pedals got religated to my hack bike.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
MartinPettit

Post by MartinPettit »

And what did you replace them with? Are there any decent double-sided (SPD or flat) pedals out there?
MartinPettit

Post by MartinPettit »

Interesting. Do you have any experience of these?
alicej

Post by alicej »

Ooh, I have just bought a pair of those exact same pedals from that very seller! They arrived this afternoon so I haven't even fitted them yet, and I don't have any SPD shoes yet, but I'll report back when I do if you like.

So far I can recommend the seller, fast delivery, and the pedals look well made. I liked the fact that you can use them with non-cycling shoes on one side, and if I find I don't get on with SPDs then the red part in the middle of these pedals can be removed, leaving just a normal platform pedal.

Also they look like I'll be able to get to the bearings to service them when they wear, so I'm basically hoping I won't have to buy another pair of pedals for a very long time, whether or not I get on with SPDs.

I'll let you know how I get on with them on the bike.
MartinPettit

Post by MartinPettit »

Yes please.

Do you know which cleats you are going for? 51s or 56s? Have you tried either before?
djoptix

Post by djoptix »

Alice, I'd be really interested to know how you get on too - I suggested these because I have an ageing pair of M324s and I'm looking for options for replacement, bearing in mind the above servicing issue (which I didn't know about until today). M324s are fantastic though, if you need to be able to ride regularly in flats and clips they're bang on.

Let us know your thoughts :)
alicej

Post by alicej »

OK, when I get home I'll take some more photos to put up here 'cos you only get quite limited views on most websites.

I should also make clear that I'm not connected to the seller in any way apart from as a (so far) satisfied customer!
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

MartinPettit wrote:I also notice there are now these multi release cleats SM-SH56, I think they are, and wondered what are peoples opinions of them for beginners?

My old road bike had clips (which were fine) but my mountain bike originally came with SPDs. I persevered through the first summer with them but it was a "summer of misery" being unable to tackle even the simplest obstacle for (the well grounded) fear of being unable to unclip and thoughts falling off dominating all my rides (and being proved correct more than once). I gave up with clipless after that, thinking them potentially lethal objects that should, in all probability, be banned.

Anyway, I took delivery of a Dawes Galaxy a few weeks ago with Shimano PD-M505 pedals. Before replacing the pedals, I tried the shoes out again, thinking that it might be different with a road bike but the experience was just the same. Like you though, I came across multi release SH56 cleats (they were listed as compatible in the bike bumf) and ordered some. I've been using them for only three weeks now but they've worked out great. I set the pedals to their loosest settings and tested them out. It was a revelation. The shoes just click in and out when I want with just a slight shuffle of the ankle outwards (or upwards). The fear of being clipped in disappeared almost instantly, knowing that I could unclip. I'm still not 100% with them yet - I still feel I have to unclip when doing slow manoeuvring such as a u-turn on a single track road - but I'm getting there and barely think about them.

I'd say don't give up in SPDs until you've tried multi-release cleats and, if they work, don't bother with the non-release kind.
E25
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

MartinPettit wrote:And what did you replace them with? Are there any decent double-sided (SPD or flat) pedals out there?

I bought a pair of Welgo SPDs and they were rubbish and weren't servicable either! I now use Shimano 520 pedals as with a very cheap tool you can easily service them, however they are not flats on one side. I would love M324s that can be serviced but haven't found them yet.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

A few general things to bear in mind as a new SPD user (I started using them about 3 years ago, after using toe-clips and straps for 30 years, and I am a complete convert):

When you first fit them, be sure to squirt some lube into the mechanism. This loosens them up a lot. The first pedals I had (SPD one side, flat the other, labelled M17, I think the brand is Wellgo though the label is very worn now) actually included this in the instructions. Also loosen the spring off all the way and try them out leaning on a wall to be sure you can get your foot out easily, then adjust so it doesn't come out TOO easily!

(Note on twisting in rather than out to release - I don't this will work generally as there is not room. But I find I only need a quick flick out to release - not a big movement.)

I never used the multi-release cleats because having adjusted as above, it was so easy to get my foot out I never had a problem. Also, the nice thing about the single sided pedals is that you can easily ride unclipped, though you have to get used to flipping the pedal over a lot when starting. I've also used Shimano's M424 pedals which are quite comfortable and you don't have to worry which way up the pedal is as it has clips both sides, but I have found it is almost impossible to ride unclipped with these, though no problem to adjust so I can easily get out.

SPD are more restrictive regarding the positioning (angle) of your foot than toe clips - I have found this with both pairs that I have used. I also have a tendency for the front of my feet to splay outwards and actually, I took a file to my Specialized Taho MTB shoes to widen the slots and let me fit the cleats slightly angled. This was well worth doing.

Because of this "fussiness" they also expose differences in your leg and/or foot lengths more than toe clips. My left leg is about 5mm longer than my right, which I never noticed while cycling until I switched to SPD, but simply moving the left cleat BACK on the shoe and the right one FORWARD on the shoe compensates just fine for me (search around the net and you'll find quite a few articles on this and other ideas if your leg length differences are larger).

Hope this is helpful to anyone considering SPDs. For most people, I think they are a big improvement on the old toe clips. Certainly are for me. I was nervous to start with but I spent half an hour practising on the common near my house and never looked back.
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

After a few years with multi-release SPD cleats on my trikes, (no danger of falling over), I ordered a set of Shimano A520 for my only converntional two wheeler.
Cleats one side & flats the other.
No problem unclipping, even if I leave it very late being used to trikes.
I tried a standard cleat but that was uncomfortable & difficult to unclip quickly.
+1 for lubing the mechanism frequently, GT 85 works well enough.
alicej

Post by alicej »

Hmm, having looked more closely I'm not sure my pedals are serviceable after all. I'd assumed they were because the cage unscrews and there is a cap on the end, but I can't see the little notch with which to get the cap off, and I can't see how to get into the other end at all...

Pedal End
Pedal End
Attachments
Pedal Other End
Pedal Other End
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Here's what my old BBB MountainHigh platform pedals look like disassembled, should think the Wellgo internals would be similar. Underneath the cap is a locknut and conenut, once these are undone the axle and bearings can be removed.