Dawes Galaxy Help

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zigzag

Dawes Galaxy Help

Post by zigzag »

Hi all,

I am interested in buying a Dawes Galaxy but what one & what size? I have found the 2010 Galaxy for £850-£900 (depending on size ) and comes in 54-57-60. The 2011 for £1140 in sizes 43-48-53-58 or the super galaxy for £1195 in the same sizes. Is it worth getting the 2011 model, does it have better components than the 2010 to spend that extra £250, if so do I spend the extra £50 and get the super? I am male with a height of 5ft 10" and an inside leg of 32".
Thanks for any help
gaz

Re: Dawes Galaxy Help

Post by gaz »

This thread and the links from it may be of help.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
EndlessWandering

Post by EndlessWandering »

Hey zigzag

I've just ordered a 2011 Ultra Galaxy from Dryburgh Cycles, and the very helpful guy in the shop rang me after I placed the order to tell me the Dawes rep he deals with suggested I - at 5' 11' and with a 33" inside leg, so similar in height to yourself - go with a 53cm frame instead of the 58cm I had originally decided on, because the frame geometry has been altered for the 2011 Galaxy range and the 58cm is more like a 2010 61cm!

I had a little issue with overreach on my 2010 Galaxy Plus, which was a 57cm size frame, so I'm glad this was picked up on and I was asked to reconsider, which I now have, and am looking forward to receiving my Ultra Galaxy, confident that I won't be suffering from overreach when out riding.

I say go for the smaller frame - It's easier to adjust saddle height and position, as well as bar height, than it is wishing your top tube was just that little bit shorter (as I did with my Galaxy Plus) and knowing you can do bugger all about it, except swap for a smaller frame!
Two wheels good...
caer urfa

Post by caer urfa »

If it's any help, the stand-over height was the critical dimension for me when it got to be the choice between a couple of sizes - you just know when the top tube (cross-bar in old money) is too high!!

Cheers

CU
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

I'm 5' 10" (with about a 33" inside leg) and I've got a 53cm 2011 Ultra Galaxy which is pretty much perfect for me. It's bigger than my old Horizon which did me for 25 years (but I always suspected was a tad too small).
E25
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Sizing charts merely indicate the appropriate frame size for Mr. Average. Since few of us are that standardised and have our own favoured riding positions there is no substitute for actually trying out a couple of frame sizes.