Grease question.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Justin

Grease question.

Post by Justin »

I went to a car boot sale on Sunday and there was a chap selling a brand new 5 litre tin of grease for £4. There wasn't any info on the tin other than CASTROL GREASE, the grease itself was a darkish cream colour. Considering I usually pay about £10 for a fairly small tube of White Lightning grease, I was very tempted by such a good offer, but I didn't bother as I had a nagging feeling that it wouldn't be suitable for a bikes hubs. Was I correct in thinking that or should I have snapped it up? I like to look after my hubs by overhauling them regularly and using decent quality bearings so I assumed it best to ere on the side of caution in case the grease was unsuitable.

Any ideas?
Father Jack

Re: Grease question.

Post by Father Jack »

transmission grease?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I've used automotive grease for bearings for a few years now with no noticeable difference in lifespan of grease or components from using bike specific grease. The only change I've considered is using marine or boat trailer bearing grease, which I haven't got around to trying yet, but still plan to. I do use dedicated suspension fork grease, but not the tiny and outrageously expensive bicycle specific versions.
Justin

Post by Justin »

Thanks for the input.
Russell160

Post by Russell160 »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42374&p=341119&hilit=grease#p341119

Big discussion on this topic above.

My view in summary of the above is that the distinctive feature of bicycle grease is that it is much more exposed to water than normal auto applications. Auto grease is also much thicker, and this must have some effect on bearing smoothness and cup and cone wear.
Like you I'm a bit OCD about hubs as I've found over the years they are the most important cycle part in terms of performance in the broadest sense. LIke you, I like to buy premium ball bearings and I think the same principle applies to grease. Yes, pound for pound it's a lot more expensive than bog standard grease but it's a small overall cost and a tube lasts for ages anyway. For the record, my favourite is Park Tool's.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Yeah, but 5 litres? Unless you were going into grease dealing, it's not a bargin unless you need it (all). You could still find a big tub of grease for a fiver.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Thick grease in a freehub can stop the pawls engaging properly. You shouldn't need much grease, I still have a tube of Teflon grease I bought at the end of 2007, still some left.
Justin

Post by Justin »

Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed the additional posts.
Thanks for the advice and I shall have a good read of the above link later this evening.
Sounds like I made the right decision then, not to buy.
I'll carry on using the proper stuff and stop penny inching :roll: :lol:
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

Where do you guys get your high quality bearings as I worry about hubs all the time?
Do you buy in bulk?
Justin

Post by Justin »

I get them from http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

Do you buy in bulk?

I only discovered the company a while back, thanks to this forum and an article in the archives, so I've only placed the one order to date. I purchased 100 of the Grade 100 3/16 bearings and 100 of the Grade 100 1/4" bearings. The price wasn't too bad but I've been thinking about getting the better, Grade 10 bearings next time. They're more expensive, but the price drops significantly if you order 500 or 1000 at a time. That's more than I would need, but, coincidently, I was thinking of starting a thread to see if any other members fancied clubbing together to buy a batch of the bearings and saving a fair bit through ordering the larger quantity.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

Don't you need to buy two different sizes?
Front wheel = ?
Rear wheel = ?

What are the highest and best grade to order for bicycle hubs?
I have Ultegra and Chorus hubs.

Thanks,
Gary
Justin

Post by Justin »

3/16" for front hubs.

1/4" for rear hubs.

Grade 10 is the highest quality they sell and more than good enough for even the very best hubs, I believe.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

I am going to back to the site and take a good look.
500 seem like the best bet.
I will look at the maths.
I think I will have about 4 bikes to service.
Not sure how many bearings each front and rear wheel use and how often you need to do it.
Once a year?
In the Spring?
Russell160

Post by Russell160 »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50953

Re where to buy, try SJS Cycles. See also above link for good discussion on stainless steel or chrome and SJS link.

Re when. I ideally like to do them once in Spring (after winter) and once in September (preparing before winter). You can get away with the front wheel once a year, unless you're doing mega miles. I like to 'listen' to the bearings through the saddle or the stem and/or take them off and just feel for roughness when you give them a spin.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

Copper slip is excellent for asembly pirposes buy for waterproofing a lithium based grease may be bought in bulk at motorists spares shops and Toolstation/Screwfix.Small tubs are a decanted rip-off.