Which Rain Cape - Rotrax or Carradice Pro-route?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robc02

Which Rain Cape - Rotrax or Carradice Pro-route?

Post by robc02 »

I need a new cape and am considering the above models. Does anyone have experience of either?

I gather the Rotrax one is fairly heavy and doesn't flap too badly in the wind. Does this also apply to the Carradice, or is it lighter?

The Carradice has a fold-away hood. I am unsure about this - my old cape had a fairly baggy, ill fitting, hood that didn't move with my head when I tried to look around me before maneuvering. I wonder how good the Carradice is in this respect?
julk

Re: Rain cape - Rotrax or Carradice Pro-route?

Post by julk »

I have the Carradice cape.
It is medium weight and has no hood.

If you like wearing a cape in bad weather then it is an excellent classic design.
pherron

Post by pherron »

My other half has had 2 Carradice capes, the nylon (or something man made) one and the cotton duck. They both wore out. The cotton duck got leaky despite re-proofing and it looked quite grubby, however she did like the cut and the weight of it. The other one wasn't very good. She hasn't had the Rotrax long but is finding it very good so far. Completely waterproof and very hi-vis but not quite as fuller fit as the Carradice she says (maybe she needed a bigger size - don't tell her I said that :D ).
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Where did she get the Rotrax one? I am thinking of getting a cape (used to use one in the 70s) but am swithering between the different ones currently available. The Carradice one looks good but may be a bit big for my 5'6" height.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

LollyKat wrote:Where did she get the Rotrax one? I am thinking of getting a cape (used to use one in the 70s) but am swithering between the different ones currently available. The Carradice one looks good but may be a bit big for my 5'6" height.

http://rotraxcycles.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/available-waterproof-cycle-capes/
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Thanks - I've emailed them with some questions.
groberts

Post by groberts »

At £9.99 the Argos cape made by Raleigh does the job very well and is excellent value, why pay more?
pherron

Post by pherron »

groberts wrote:At £9.99 the Argos cape made by Raleigh does the job very well and is excellent value, why pay more?

I don't know the Argos cape but often cheaper capes are made from very light material which balloons up and flaps about. Heavy weight fabric is really a must on a good cape. I'd rather pay more and get something that works well.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

groberts wrote:At £9.99 the Argos cape made by Raleigh does the job very well and is excellent value, why pay more?

1. because it has a hood, which gets in the way of looking round -- I prefer a separate cap
2. because the material is very light and flaps in the wind. I'm looking for something that will hold its shape a bit better.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

pherron wrote:

I don't know the Argos cape but often cheaper capes are made from very light material which balloons up and flaps about. Heavy weight fabric is really a must on a good cape. I'd rather pay more and get something that works well.

Yes, that is my experience with lightweight capes as well. Also, I have had numerous cheap, light (flimsy?), capes in the past and they tend to tear quite easily - starting at the attachment points for the thumb loops.

My main reason for starting this thread was to try to find out how heavy, stiff etc the two capes are.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Vaude do some interesting hybrids that are both light and may not flap so much because they have arms.
Willem
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I wonder how they work in practice? The trouble is not being able to try them on first - I can't even find a picture of the sleeved one being used on a bike.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Time for a quick review : . . . . .. .

My experience with a cycle cape : Beginner

The cape : Lidl, cost 9 Euros . . . . recently purchased.

Description : Bright Yellow, lightweight material, integral hood ( unsupported )

First use :
light - moderate rain, not very windy
Rather impressed. I stayed dry : not sweaty.

Second use :
very heavy rain accompanied by gusty winds
Very unimpressed . . . . . .
Water pooled between my arms and the barbag. The pressure of the wind and the weight of the water at the front dragged the cape up my back, riding all the way up to my neck.
It flapped a lot. It was very difficult to keep my hands in the tags, especially using downtube shifters.
The hood suddenly dropped over my face giving me no view of the road.

Overall :
I doubt that I will bother carrying it around on the bike ever again.
In principle the cape idea is good, but maybe this Lidl one would suit a more upright riding position and less extreme weather conditions.

I might try a Rotrax next. How much do they cost ?
random37

Post by random37 »

I've never tried this, but if you were budget-minded would an army surplus poncho work? Most of them are quite heavy, and most are less than £10.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

graham wrote:I might try a Rotrax next. How much do they cost ?

£30.95 posted - about the same as the Carradice.