Cheap Computers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rapidfire72

Cheap Computers

Post by rapidfire72 »

I got a Cat-Eye computer from the York Cycle Show and turned out to be a duff, can't return it so chucked it in the bin. This is the third Cat-Eye Computer that has been a duffer.

I'm now looking for a cheap computer in it's place. I've heard halford's do some cheap basic computer's, are these any good or would it be best to wait until Aldi or Lidi have the bike bits offers.
BryterLayter

Re: Cheap Computers

Post by BryterLayter »

Sorry to hear about the Cat eye computer. I nearly purchased one from there too, but changed my mind at the last minute. I used a wireless cycle computer from Aldi a couple of years ago it worked fine until the day I got caught in a deluge on the way home at which point it died on me. I tried drying it out but to no avail, I have no experience on the Halfords ones. I will be interested in what others have experienced too.
And now we rise
And we are everywhere
Landy Mann

Post by Landy Mann »

IMHO The cheap Halfords ones aren't that good the last one I got had to be returned, I can't remember what stopped working about it. Insaying that my current one is a halfords one I got for my 10th birthday, 9 1/2 years ago, but I've found with age that it needs to be kept inside and dry rather than on my bike all the time as it was before! So it's probably one of those, where some are good and some bad!
|)/-\\/!|)

2009 Giant Defy 3 - Road/tourer
199? Dimondback Topanga - Commuter
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

Having done a look on Halford's website searching the bike computer's on there. I came across this one Computer which believe it or not is the same as the one on my work bike. The computer on the work bike is called Star and has only 3 functions, but nevertheless it's been in heavy rain, snow and been knocked about a bit. So, I'm going to buy the Halford's computer.
spanner

Post by spanner »

ive got a lidl cycle computer fitted to my 1957 flying scot and havent had any problems with it only annoying thing i found was it has two set ups on it so that the same head can be used on two different bikes(ie a bike with 27" and a bike with 700c wheels) other than this its got 20 functions on it mainly found on more expensive computers and it was only £3.99 i think
i bought another one when lidls had them back in again and have just fitted this to a dawes jaguar ive just built up same 20 functions though the head part wont fit the bracket for the one on the scot and vice versa as they have changed the design of the underside of the computer head.
one drawback with the one on the scot is that if you happen to press the button and go onto the 2 setting the mileage for the 1 setting is wiped but if you are quick you can reenter the mileage as it has a feature for saving the wheel size and mileage when the battery is replaced, i also bought a few cycle computers on ebay as they were only £2.99 each with free postage the idea being i would fit computers to my bikes so that they all have cycle computers fitted to them trouble is i put them somewhere for safe keeping and cant find them!
ed_b

Post by ed_b »

Don't know what exactly you call cheap, but I got a great Sigma from Decathlon a few years back - £15 iirc so not nearly as cheap as the others mentioned here but good value imho.

Decathlon seem to have a much bigger range now. No prices at time of writing cos of a technical glitch, but worth checking out when they get the prices up again: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/bike-computers-3956684/

I've never been disappointed by Decathlon - tho that said I've never actually bought a bike there, just accessories & kit.
beneix

Post by beneix »

I've got a Veloset VS-212 that is working great for me. Backlight, waterproof, all the functions you need and even temperature. £13 -- a good deal, I thought, and it seems robust and well built.
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

After 3 Cateye computers I've moved to the Sigma 1609. Easy to read and accurate. I am very pleased with it.
John
Dr.Doo

Post by Dr.Doo »

I was so looking forward to having a cycle computer at last but have just had to take the Lidl one I bought this week back. Back to the drawing board. :(
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

I love Sigma computers and have 2 wired ones. Very easy to install and use. So far in 5 years totally reliable (they're German) even after riding an audax in torrential rain (with the computer uncovered open to the elements).
Andyw

Cheap Computers

Post by Andyw »

+1 for the Sigma from Decatlon.

Easy to use, setup and pretty accurate.

Except when I forgot to reset it at the start of an 80 miles sportive. I was so depressed when I arrived at the 50 mile feed station I nearly gave up, It had already clocked an hour before started.

I also bought a HRT for under £25.