headset press specification

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crimble

headset press specification

Post by crimble »

I am going to make a headset press. Does anyone know the diameters for the press surface for both 1" and 1 1/8" assuming a flat edge to the press [though I will give this a small radius]. From experience would this be better as an aluminium or steel part, I am assuming that the headset cups will be less likely to be damaged if the press is Al?

I am also assuming that the press will work fine if one end is fixed and the other screws.

Comments?
meic

Re: headset press specification

Post by meic »

My first headset went in nicely using pieces of softwood with washers behind them on a 8mm threaded stud.
I had a wingnut on one end for fast taking up of surplus threads and used a spanner on a nut on the other end to do the pressing.

I used the same press to attempt to straighten a headset that came on my new bike and wasnt in flush to the headset all the way around (Fatbirds Dont Fly).
The pieces of wood got crushed and the headset didnt straighten up, so I left it there for now as I didnt want to damage anything on the bike.
Yma o Hyd
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

My home-made headset press uses two bits of marine plywood and a length of threaded rod. No marks at all on the wood but I do press in each cup individually rather than both at once.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

Or you could try the old fashioned way.
For insertion a hammer and a piece of flat wood.
For removal a piece of broomhandle or pipe.
Not much force is needed for either operation.
spanner

Post by spanner »

i use a length of threaded rod two large sockets and two dished washers fit in the following order
nut, socket dished washer upwards bottom cup then top cup dished washer dished side downwards socket and nut
run the nuts up and then use two spanners ring spanners are best size 17mm and tighten the nuts with equal pressure and the cups will pop into place.
ive used this method for years and find that it always works
531colin

Post by 531colin »

There is an old thread on here somewhere about DIY headset presses. The best bit I remember is to use rubber doorstops to keep it central...brilliant!