Advice regarding touring shoes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
scotterdavid

Advice regarding touring shoes

Post by scotterdavid »

Hello,

My Shimano cycling shoes are wearing out, and I'm looking around for a replacement pair. I'm a road tourer, however I actually went for a pair of MTB shoes to get chunkier heels/soles to walk on. They have been fine apart from two issues -- the SPD cleats tend to create pressure points in to my feet and after a while cause painful corns to form. Secondly, the mesh (which keeps you cool on a hot day) lets water in on rainy days.

Actually I suspect I'll eventually look for two pairs -- one for the fall/winter and one for summer/spring, however at this point I'm just keen to replace the Shimano MTB shoes. I tried a pair of Shimano MO77's on at the weekend, and thy're OK... I suspect Shimano will be the default choice unless someone can please recommend an alternative make/model. Any comments, please?

Best regards -- David.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Advice regarding touring shoes

Post by Mick F »

Hi David,
Welcome to the forum!
Just approved your post, but you have a duplicate one too, so I've taken the liberty of removing it.

Duplicates confuse the simple minded members on here! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
alicej

Post by alicej »

Hiya, welcome to the forum!

Shoes with more rigid soles should stop the pressure points near the cleats, as they spread the load better. Stiff soles are more comfortable to ride in too. The stiffer the sole the harder shoes are to walk in though - will you need to walk much in them?

Re: the mesh, if it's quite dense then waterproofing spray might help a bit, or for summer it might be worth going for sandals, which dry off quickly and keep your feet cool.

Keen do some with cleats in them, I use the ones without cleats although the soles might not be as rigid as you'd want - I don't know if the cycling ones have stiffer soles. http://www.bikeinn.com/bike/keen-commuter--spd-/9888/p
theopr

Post by theopr »

I always found shimano shoes a bit tight round the toes. I tend to use specialized now as I find them a bit roomier. Best to try on a couple of different brands if you can as the sizing seems very hit and miss.

I'm a fan of winter boots. They don't necessarily keep your feet dry but I find them much warmer and less hassle than overshoes. The downside is that you'll probbay need a pair of summer shoes as well!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I like Mavic touring shoe worth alook as are the
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=37026&hilit=+shoes+mavic
these also get good write ups
http://www.exustar.com/product.php?t1s=11&level=2
NUKe

Post by DavidT »

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

You mention you have Shimano MTB shoes. Are you aware Shimano also do specific Road Touring shoes - SH-RT31/52/70.

I have been more than happy with their previous incarnation SH-RT30.

They still have mesh - so I have overshoes for wet weather (not very effective ones though :roll: ), but they've more than adequately coped with walking comfortably around touring type haunts - town centres/museums/English Heritage & National Trust sites.

Due to fit, I'd never recommend buying cycling shoes over the internet. Find somewhere to try them on!
PW

Post by PW »

I'd look at it from another angle. SPDs have a fairly small contact area, whereas Time ATACs have one a fair bit larger which spreads the load, and the cleats recess further into the shoe sole so the shoe lasts longer before the cleat starts grounding.
Shoes are personal, but I did 830 miles around Scotland and the Pennines in a pair of Specialized BG trainer look-alikes, warm comfy and they didn't leak water even in a cloudburst on the Bealach Na Ba where the rest of me got a good soaking. I still live in them 2 years later and they aren't worn out yet. For "Normal" looks at work and the pub then leather Exustar Stelvios are worth checking out. Water resistant and comfortable but a bit nippy in cold weather. For cheap, the £18 specials periodically sold in Lidl are a bargain, but beware the chunky heel will foul the chainstays on a short wheelbase frame. They're OK for longer machines though.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Gavin Hill

Post by Gavin Hill »

theopr wrote:I always found shimano shoes a bit tight round the toes. I tend to use specialized now as I find them a bit roomier.

+1 I switched from Shimano to Specialized MTB SPD. Roomier & more comfortable. The only shoes I took on my JOGLE trip and they were fine for the evenings as well.
Did have to try a few different Specialized shoes though to get one that felt right.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I have these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/exustar-sm60 ... prod13352/ which are great. They have been superceded. I love the fact that they breath, are splash proof, can be cleaned by using polish and best of all if they do get wet they don't stink!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've been wearing Specialized Sonoma touring shoes for the last five years (I have two pairs) after years of Shimano's (which I still have a pair of one size too big MTB ones for winter) the Sonoma's are a much better fit.I also have a pair Shimano Sandals for warm weather touring which are good but are sadly lacking in style :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden