Dawes KaraKum Ladies Version- good idea?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
flmiller

Post by flmiller »

Hi I am looking for some advice on a new touring bike, I am rather new to this and have previously done all my 'touring' on a second hand bicycle. However I am cycling from Amsterdam to Venice (and then wherever Europe decides to take me), I thought it was about time I invested in a good bike and have been looking at the Dawes Karakum however they do a ladies version and wondered what the general consensus was on such a bike?

http://www.dawescycles.com/p-410-karakum-ladies.aspx

I have looked for reviews of this specific model but am struggling to see anything which discusses the lowered top tube specifically for sturdiness and handling, baring in mind that the bike will be fully loaded with kit, including camping gear...

I have a budget of up to £800 so all alternative suggestions are welcomed!

I am nearly 5' 7" so am looking at the 18" women's in this particular model, would perhaps simply going for the men's version be an option?
http://www.dawescycles.com/p-409-karakum-gents.aspx

Thank you in advance! All advice much appreciated :D
eileithyia

Re: Dawes KaraKum Ladies Version- good idea?

Post by eileithyia »

Yeuch would not go anywhere on the Ladies' bike it looks revolting, sorry.

The Gents version is far better looking imo.

As the spec is the same on both I would go for the gent's version personally. Often a ladies' version is down 'specced' but this does nto seem to be the case here.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The strength of the frame is compromised in this design

My wife has toured happily on a men's frame for some years -the important thing is how it fits, as you will be spending many hours on the bike you choose so make sure it is right before you buy, and the best way to do that is a bum on a seat
horizon

Post by horizon »

flmillar: are you saying you're happy with the KaraKum but don't know whether to go for the ladies' model or not? If so, I agree with eileitheiya.

But do you know that:

1. It's a trekking style bike - laid back and comfy but not very quick.
2. Has an aluminium frame not a steel one.
3. Has heavier, sturdier tyres than a normal tourer.
4. It has nice low gears

You can go round the world on it but nice and slowly. If you are intending to do higher mileages, even fully laden, you may be better off with a proper touring bike - but this will almost certainly be a men's frame.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
KevinH

Post by KevinH »

Hi,

my other half is 5'6" and has an 18" Gents Karakum, she didn't like the ladies version. As I recall the ladies version not having room for bottle cages was an issue and in the flesh the top tube on the smallest gents bike is quite low anyway.
She has been fairly happy with the bike, but there have been a couple of issues. firstly the suspension seatpost is poor, on ours the plastic shim that controls side play broke within a few months. The other is high speed stability, the front end starts to wobble at around 35mph. I suspect the main culprit here is the butterfly bars as they have quite a bit of flex.
horizon

Post by horizon »

KevinH wrote:Hi,

the front end starts to wobble at around 35mph.

So would I :shock: (I agree it's not a good sign but the KaraKum really isn't a 35mph bike IMV).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
flmiller

Post by flmiller »

I am very open to suggestions of any alternatives as I am just beginning my search for a bike- I was also looking at the Ridgeback Voyage, any thoughts on a comparison? pros and cons?

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/voyage

thank you for all the advice so far, much appreciated (I agree it isn't a good looking bike!!!). I also realise that it is more of a trekking style bike, comfort is a priority and speed isn't so much...it could be in the future however!
horizon

Post by horizon »

Yes, the Voyage is the kind of alternative you could be looking at. The Dawes Horizon (no relation) and Revolution Country Explorer would make good comparisons at that price range. You can just get a steel touring bike for £800 but you are cutting things a bit fine if you want good quality components. Having said that, all three bikes are the right starting point.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Ladies frame are great if riding with a skirt (kilt?) although less entertaining to onlookers :lol: An specific exceptions aside thats their only virtue. Several disadvantages though.
Other wise their existance is pointless on a purely sexist basis. Women can get their lesg as high as men, Often higher. Buy a "mans" bike. Look for mail specif geometry if you need it.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mattsccm wrote: Buy a "mans" bike. Look for mail specif geometry if you need it.

The main problem is reach but a shorter stem should fix this as a touring bike already has (should have) a shorter top tube.
seraphina

Post by seraphina »

I would stay away from ladies' specific models, for reasons similar to those outlined above.

I've just bought a Dawes Horizon and am very pleased with it. I was after a total all-rounder of a bike, to commute, day ride and tour on, and I think the Horizon fits the bill perfectly.
groberts

Post by groberts »

My wife has had the men's version of the KaraKum for a few years, uses it nearly every day for shopping and getting about + uses it for day rides and loves it. It is however a slow (heavy) bike, so whilst it is very well suited for touring (racks, comfort etc) you won't be getting there in a hurry - but isn't that what touring's about?

By-the-way, she's 5ft 5in and has the 17in men's version, so the 18in should be just right for you - though it's always best to try beforehand if you can.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Hi flmiller,

Welcome to the forum.

I have to admit that I agree with eileithyia; ugly bike. Othe other hand, if you want a dropped tube, it looks like a decent bike. If you aren't bothered about the dropped tube, a gents will do just as well.

Be careful about buying bikes (especially gents) sized by height. That works OK for people with average proportions, but not so well, if you are leggy or long bodied. I have long legs and short body, and consequently have to get a frame that is slightly smaller than I would, sizing by height. I rode bikes too big until I was in my mid-twenties because I had bought used bikes, sized by height (and didn't know any better).

So, make certain you can try something before you buy it and/or have a professional fitting done.

You can get better value for money buying a used bike (if you can find one that suits) than new. If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd spend it on a used bike, and get that much better of a bike & components, instead. Then, spend the money I saved on a good set of Ortlieb panniers, or something 8) For example, I'd rather have one of these viewtopic.php?f=40&t=53254 (one now sold) than the bike you are considering. If you need your new bike immediately, you may have to buy new, but otherwise, it may be worth waiting until just the right used bike comes along.

When I have bought a new bike, I've ususally rung up bike shops to find the ones that have some stock, then gone round and tried them. It's worth the time riding some at shops, even when I don't buy them, because it helps me set (or justify) my selection criteria.

Good luck!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
flmiller

Post by flmiller »

Thank you for all the assistance, most useful indeed!

I have a new post, due to new dilemma but thought it appropriative to start again as I am certainly looking for a tourer after test riding a few over the past month.

Cheers folks!
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

This bike seems not to be liked much. My wife has one and we've done two short cycle camping tours in France totalling just a few hundreds of miles. In that time none of the issues previously discussed were experienced but then again 35mph wasn't something we do very often. I think it would be fare to say that this is a gentle touring bike, rather than a quick one. We are selling it actually and hoping to get enough for a deposit on a Rohloff (yes, just the Rohloff! Sooo pricey).

Recognising the OP's dilema and any one else looking at a women's specific touring bike like this, anyone who wants to just test ride the ladies Karakum is welcome to do just that - just PM me. (Location: near Havant, in Hampshire)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey