2 small holes in new tyre

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
humpy

2 small holes in new tyre

Post by humpy »

Hi all,
Sorry I'm quite new to road cycling, so apologies if this is normal and will make you chuckle :lol:
I bought 2 new tyres, continental gp4000s, and both of them have 2 small holes/indents. I just wonder if this is normal and where the mould is done, or if there's a dodgy batch. I haven't noticed these on previous tyres (different makes) before.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Thanks.
The Mechanic

Re: 2 small holes in new tyre

Post by The Mechanic »

Wierd! Dont suppose it could be a wear indicator could it. Must admit I have not seen this before.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
humpy

Post by humpy »

The Mechanic wrote:Wierd! Dont suppose it could be a wear indicator could it. Must admit I have not seen this before.

Thanks, you're right. I've just been informed and looking at it, it does say TWI and a little ^ pointing to the hole, so Thread Wear Indicator it is. It would have been nice if they mentioned it in the instructions it came with, I never saw it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

"Tread Wear Indicator"
Nice to have, but where's the tread?

Narrow bicycle tyres don't need tread at all. They are narrow and dissipate the water easily. Tread is for show, nothing else.

However, If they'd have said: "Wear Indicator" I'd have been content.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... Narrow bicycle tyres don't need tread at all. ....

If we are having a pedantic night in. my dictionary (Chambers) says that the tread is the bit that touches the road. I think that means that smooth tyres have no tread pattern.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

thirdcrank wrote:If we are having a pedantic night in.

OK, go on then... :lol: he should have qualified it with....on tarmac
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

Those Tread Wear Indicators do look deeper than the "tread pattern"!
They do look like air bubble flaws too.

(irrelevant strange fact... Those pics are so good I can actually smell and taste the rubber! I get it with lemons too. Anyone else?)
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Mick F wrote:Narrow bicycle tyres don't need tread at all. They are narrow and dissipate the water easily. Tread is for show, nothing else.

I seem to recall some fancy tyre testing place found that some tread was beneficial. Not for water, but for increased grip on tarmac.

Anyone remember what it was, exactly?
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

Those are indeed wear indicators. When they are gone, change the tyre (or when you start to get punctures).
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I remember having the same puzzlement when I bought a pair of these tyres a couple of years ago. It never occurred to me they were wear indicators - I assumed they were a slight manufacturing flaw and filled them with silicone!
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

That type of tread wear indicator is familiar to anyone who's ever had anything to do with any type of motor sport that uses slick tyres.

How else would you know how much was left of the rubber formulated to actually contact the road and give grip?
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

I had a mark on my GP4000S last Sunday that certainly was NOT a TWI hole! As South Bucks intruders, my friend and I went on a 100 mile West Surrey run (great ride, BTW) and our group of about 14 had 6 punctures. Hardly surprising, as sone of the grit-covered roads were well lubricated.

Still, managed to do a decent repair on the tyre with this stuff:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shoe-Goo-Shoe ... 2eb67d3388
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Mick F wrote:Narrow bicycle tyres don't need tread at all. They are narrow and dissipate the water easily. Tread is for show, nothing else.

Are you having a laugh :lol: Ask about how many riders go down in the wet using slicks !
I would never ride on slicks again as they feel unsure in the wet, infact all my tyres on
my road bikes are treaded tyres because of this, most of my mates have done away
with slicks and brought file/herring bone treaded tyres.

In 1987 i got pulled into a layby by a kind traffic cop who wanted to check my bike over for safety
and he 'noted' my Specialized turbo slick tyres and told me i have completely worn the tread out
when i explained they are racing/competitive tyres he asked me ''why are you on a race''
i ended up with a £7 fine and warned too about not having a front and rear reflector fitted.

ian.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Ian Raleigh wrote:I would never ride on slicks again as they feel unsure in the wet

feeling unsure and actually being unsure are quite different. still, if it makes you feel better, ride treaded tyres 8)