Rucksack or not...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
karlt

Rucksack or not...

Post by karlt »

I commute to work twice a week (it's 14.5 miles each way, and this is NE Derbyshire into Sheffield; I don't think there's a flat 100 yards in the whole run). I carry a few things in a rucksack - lunch, work shoes, shirt - but although it weighs very little I've noticed that I go noticeably faster on my unencumbered evening runs. What I'm wondering is whether the rucksack is the difference, or whether it's just that the evening is relaxed, I've recently had dinner, etc.

Thinking it may be the rucksack, I have a dilemma. I have a 2009 model Sport 1 from Decathlon (yes, yes, I know, but where else do you get a road bike for less than £300 that's not made of cheese?) and it doesn't have brazeons for racks/carriers. The frame does have the holes near the dropouts for the rear wheel, however, so I'm asking whether getting one of those replacement seatpost clamps that allows attachment of a carrier to bikes without brazeons is worth going for, or whether they're a pile of poo.
LANDSURFER74

Re: Rucksack or not...

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Get some 'p' clips to fit at the bottom of the stays . Then you can fit a rack. I NEVER carry anything on my back while cycling ... whats the bike for !! If you need any further help i am in Chesterfield most days and can supply and advise on fitting 'P' clips to support racks ... drop me a line ...
karlt

Post by karlt »

Thanks. It's fine at the bottom of the stays - it's the top that has the problem.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

simply get a carradice saddlebag that's bigger than your rucksack. better still, get the biggest you can.

take no notice of those that claim a big bag just adds extra luggage and weight. a gentleman's saddlebag should never let him down when it is called upon at the unexpectedly delightful bottled beer vendor..or giant puffball.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Sorry to use the 'T' word but after hundreds of miles of touring with weekend camping loads, my rack is attached at the bottom by 'p' clips and at the top / seat post by 2, 6mm tiewraps. Faultless....

KISS ... :)
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

hubgearfreak wrote:simply get a carradice saddlebag that's bigger than your rucksack.

As HGF says it's the simplest answer... and keeps the CG low ... and the bags are of stunning quality ...
531colin

Post by 531colin »

hubgearfreak wrote:..................................or giant puffball.

Havn't had one of them in years......(sigh)
Sliced an inch thick and quickly fried in butter...........
The soup.........
I got them from the same field several years, then no more, I guess thats life.
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

Go rucksack, man! :mrgreen:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

531colin wrote:Havn't had one of them in years......(sigh)

look at these beauties.

they wouldn't fit in any saddle bag, but luckily one well prepared lady cyclist had a collection of wickerwork :mrgreen:

we used olive oil and garlic on greybeard'd stove...farmer's market bread and a glass of red

if you want the grid reference, you may get lucky at the beginning of september?. although it's a 2 or 3 day ride from yours
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I have taken heavy panniers on a carrier attached at drop-out eyes and P-clips at the top of the stays for years without any problem. Sometimes just one pannier which is arguably worse :oops: . The carrier is a Blackburn copy, with the angled in stays, and I have never noticed any hint of sway.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Pannier. I was a regular rucksack user until a crash in 1999 saw the rucksack do as much damage to the back of my helmet as the van did to the front. Luckily for me, it was the first time for months I was NOT carrying my laptop in the rucksack, or I'd not be typing this now.