KOGA-MIYATA What are they like?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Stuart

KOGA-MIYATA What are they like?

Post by Stuart »

I'm intrigued with the Koga-Miyata range of touring bikes, now being distributed by 'Kinetics' of Glasgow.
Has anyone experience of these dutch japanese bikes?
I particularly like the 40 holed rear hub, front dynamo hub, multi-position handlebars and the frame looks well made too.
TJ

Re:KOGA-MIYATA What are they like?

Post by TJ »

These Dutch bikes have a very good reputation. The touring versions come equipped with all manner of bits and pieces you normally buy as extras. They are quite heavy, but fully laden this isn't too much of a big deal. They handle well, loaded, ideal for heavy touring.
Nurgles

Post by Nurgles »

They have very good reputation world wide,I met a few in SE Asia recently .The riders being Dutch.Why not go for UK bikes..Thorn,Longstaff.Orbit etc?
(ps I have no commercial interest)
CJ

Post by CJ »

I tested one for the CTC mag when they were last imported in the 1980s. It remains the only bike I ever tested (in 21 years) where the frame angles and dimensions were so close to the specification that I couldn't find so much as one millimetre or one tenth of a degree difference!
Buitenlander

Post by Buitenlander »

I'm a Brit living in Holland and have owned a Koga World Traveller for Two years. Simply put its the best thing on Two wheels I have ridden in 20+ years of cycling. Quality in all departments.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I wonder if they still build their own frames as there is no indication on their website that they do. It may be that they are built in Taiwan like so many quality frames nowdays.