Self Adhesive patches

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cunobelin

Self Adhesive patches

Post by Cunobelin »

OK - I am a middle aged traditionalist when it comes to punctures and use cement and patches.

When out the other night I came acros a young lad who had an aging tube of cement that was not sticking the patch to the tube. I have now come across some self adhesive patches in various magazines.

Do they work?

Is the convenience worth changing from the patch / cement system?

Are there limitations and is it worth using both?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Self Adhesive patches

Post by Mick F »

I've used them - or should I say one, and it worked absolutely fine. Just make sure the tube is well roughed up as they'll only stick on a matt surface.
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

As Mick states, rough the tube up first as you would with a normal patch. In the times I've used them at the roadside they have got me soing again but due to the omission of the above the tube went down after I got home.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

My rear tube, which is in a 47-559 Marathon HS368, run at 70PSI, has two of these patches on, the Park Tools ones. One has been on for c. 1,600 miles, the other around 800 miles. No problems to report.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I'm like Cunobelin, so I'm watching this thread with interest. Good to hear positive reports.
shane

Post by shane »

I've used the park tool patches often. They're great for a quick fix but after a couple of months they start to dry out and get wrinkly and eventually start leaking :?
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I use Park ones never had one come off 10/10
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I've used them almost exclusively over the last 10 years or so, (Park ones) and have never had a problem either with them failing or drying out and cracking. Can't fault them.
seph

Post by seph »

ive used the cheap wilkos ones (a red strip) with no problems. They last well in use. I tried some others, probably meant for mtbs and they were too big, the patch wanted to wrap across the seam of the tube and they tended to leak. Wilkos ones are oval, the narrow side could always be laid down the length of the tube.

Keep them safe from the weather in a saddlebag or pannier, otherwise they'll be useless when needed... :roll:
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

I've used the Park ones successfully but found that on a really hot day, the patches lift after a few hours. Certainly a 'just get you home' item with me.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.