Broken rear mech

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
john.will.wright

Broken rear mech

Post by john.will.wright »

The metal strip on one side of the jockey wheels has snapped, conveniently around 20 miles away from home on a long ride! Anyway, there's a couple of pictures below - does anyone know of a way of fixing this?

It's campag gran sport so it'd be a pity to have to bin it after this long, but if I do can anyone suggest any suitable replacements that will fit? I would prefer not to have to change my old friction shifters or lengthen the chain.

thirdcrank

Re: Broken rear mech

Post by thirdcrank »

That dates from the days when every Campag nut and bolt was available as spares. You may be able to source one from a supplier of old campag stuff.
john.will.wright

Even if I can't get any spare parts, do you know any suitable, new(-ish) replacements?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

john.will.wright wrote:Even if I can't get any spare parts, do you know any suitable, new(-ish) replacements?
Sorry, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if it were to be interchangeable with anything recent. The same thing hapened to me with a Super Record a long time ago and I was able to buy a spare via my lbs from the then Campag spares importer. I've an idea the current importer is Mercian, although it may have changed again.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

john.will.wright wrote:It's campag gran sport

A Nuovo Gran Sport, pretty much the last hurrah of the Gran Sport series. I had one in the late 70s I think, the nuts instead of allen keys are a real nuisance.

Spares - since originality does not matter, you want something to use, then I think there are two reasonable options.

1. Look on ebay for this or a 980 rear mech, maybe even any broken rear mech from say the 60s onwards. Expect to pay £5 to £10.

2. Measure the distance between the two screws and publish that information on here. Then we can look in our bit boxes to see if we have anything to suit.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

If you can get it to a car body shop they might be able to put a spot of "Mig" weld on one side. the side plates are usualy made of steel so it shouldn't be a problem, either that or gas weld it back together. It might help if you bolt the side plate to something rigid, like a short length of Dexion angle so that it's all in place, and clean off any plating in the area of the weld.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If you don't get sorted let me know as I need an old one for the pivot bolt and screws etc.
john.will.wright

I get it as 45mm between the centre point of the bolts holding the side plates, at least it converts to almost exactly that and I assume it'll be metric - my calipers are from before the days of French units of measurement!

If anyone has anything they think might fit it would be highly appreciated, otherwise I think I'll set up a jig to hold the broken pieces in the right place (dexion is a great idea) and try to get it welded back together. Do you reckon a braze would be strong enough?

Lots of fantastic ideas, thanks a lot.

EDIT: The threaded holes in the metal plate have a diameter of 5mm.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

you could braze it, but I'd put a small piece of steel across the gap to bridge it, make it twice as long as it is wide.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mercian can supply an original part. I did that for a Super Record mech I had that had a worn/bent cage inner.

Give them a ring.
http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/contact-us

However, that doesn't help if you are away! Sounds to me that FW has the right idea by getting someone to weld the plate together as a temp fix.

Best to get it repaired with the correct part though. Give Mercian a call, they hold all the spares.
Mick F. Cornwall
john.will.wright

Just missed them, they closed 10 minutes ago! I'll phone them on Monday when they open up again, Meanwhile I'll try to get it welded, it seems like a pretty good idea to me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry for not getting to this thread earlier!

Mercian will need to know the model and the length of the cage. No doubt all inner cages are the same design and threaded holes, just different drop lengths, so the model is perhaps unimportant.

Good luck.
Mick F. Cornwall
jackg

Post by jackg »

http://www.universalcyclecentre.co.uk/campag.htm (On shutdown at the moment?)
Campag service centres in Kent and Derby.
http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/
Ask the question here: http://www.campyonly.com/phpBB3/index.php
john.will.wright

I phoned up Mercian today and they called me back within twenty minutes with exactly the right part, great service.

Thanks for everyone's help
john.will.wright

Well, what I thought was exactly the right part turned out to be the wrong part. Only one of the holes in the side plate was threaded on the replacement so I can only attach it to one of the jockey wheels. Let's hope we can get this sorted.