Transporting a Tandem by Car

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikes4two

Re: Transporting a Tandem by Car

Post by bikes4two »

anniesboy wrote:I have a Helton tandem carrier, I have difficulty with it my roof bars are Thule and the Helton was not made to accommodate them.
The other issue is my tandem is a Thorn,with non crossover drive ,hence locating the "drainpipe" to the Helton is not easy.
Using this is in my situation a two person job even then not easy.
If I was starting afresh I would look at http://is.gd/kz2Nz7

It is not easy to explain my problems with the Helton, but once the tandem is in place its secure on the rack

This link is the Atera hydraulic tandem lit referred to in my earlier post Maybe SJSC market it under a diferent name or it's changed names, bt it's the same ting as far as I can see from the photo, but not as cheap as a pair of ladders and fixing though and I can't clean my gutters out using the Atera :shock:
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Sid38

Post by Sid38 »

Perhaps you should look at the ATOC Tandem Topper. Very easy to use. Easy to attache to standard roof bars, and splits into two pieces so can be stored in the boot so doesn't get stolen when leaving your car.
Steve_C

Post by Steve_C »

Hello

I have looked at your ladder idea for transporting a tandem, it looks good and probably a solution to my problem. I have a discovery 4 which is approximately 2 metres in height, I and the other half are too small to lift it onto a conventional style roof carrier. Your ladder idea looks good, but I am not sure of the ladder spec or how it slides together. I think you indicate its a roof type ladder? My experience with ladders is that a two section ladder would slide off as required but loose the stability when you attach the tandem, unless I am missing a trick here? Can you please explain in more detail the ladder type and any modifications required.

Thanks
Steve
twiggy

Post by twiggy »

If anyone is interested I have an Atera Tandem lift for sale. Just pm me if interested.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Steve_C wrote:Hello<br abp="338"><br abp="339">I have looked at your ladder idea for transporting a tandem, it looks good and probably a solution to my problem. I have a discovery 4 which is approximately 2 metres in height, I and the other half are too small to lift it onto a conventional style roof carrier. Your ladder idea looks good, but I am not sure of the ladder spec or how it slides together. I think you indicate its a roof type ladder? My experience with ladders is that a two section ladder would slide off as required but loose the stability when you attach the tandem, unless I am missing a trick here? Can you please explain in more detail the ladder type and any modifications required.<br abp="340"><br abp="341">Thanks <br abp="342">Steve

When sliding the top ladder section back/forwards you do need to be careful as there is nothing to stop it toppling sideways (I never had that problem). I used a roof ladder as that is what I had at the time but a proper 2 section ladder would be easier to handle.
To make it more secure you could add extra L brackets. But once the ladder is in the forward position it is important to secure the ladders sections together and the bike to avoid strain in the forks.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Hi, I was struggling lifting the tandem up onto the Pendle carrier so decided to buy an Atera pneumatic gas strut assist bike carrier which I have used for the past 10 years. Can't seem to find any internet link to these carriers anymore, although I did see one the other month on an advert at the Volvo garage. It has been extremely useful as I am 5ft 8in and weakening in my old age. To prevent the aluminium post from swaying, I do tie a plastic waste pipe to it.