Powder Coating

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LANDSURFER74

Powder Coating

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Can any one recommend a powder coating firm in the Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster area please.
Trigger

Re: Powder Coating

Post by Trigger »

Not quite the area you're after but there's a reasonably priced one in Mansfield, blasted and powder coated my frame and forks for £30.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Mansfield is fine .. i work in chesterfield ... any idea of the name of the company...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

How about Mercian at Derby, straight down the motorway, and, you'll get a super hand done paint job, although not powder coating which can be very crude because powder builds up on edges.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Powder coating is harder wearing and more environmentally friendly.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

gilesjuk wrote:Powder coating is harder wearing and more environmentally friendly.

Thank you Giles. From someone that ran one of the biggest powder coating plants in the UK, coating everything from shop equipment, Hoover casings and bus parts to name just a few, I can assure you its not environmentally friendly at all. And, harder wearing than what?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:Mansfield is fine .. i work in chesterfield ... any idea of the name of the company...

W H Paint Finishers Ltd.

Quite easy to find as well, you just turn up the old railway sidings after going under the rail bridge on Sheepbridge Lane.

The finish is pretty good but obviously nothing like a professional hand painted job but for the price I doubt you'd get a harder wearing finish, although my bike is a utility bike I like it to look nice. Just make sure you mask off all the threads and holes you don't want painting.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

al_yrpal wrote:
gilesjuk wrote:Powder coating is harder wearing and more environmentally friendly.

Thank you Giles. From someone that ran one of the biggest powder coating plants in the UK, coating everything from shop equipment, Hoover casings and bus parts to name just a few, I can assure you its not environmentally friendly at all. And, harder wearing than what?

Al

Maybe this posting needs some balance:
1. what is the cost of a powder coat versus say, a Mercian 'proper' paint job?
2. Hardness of wearing - what matters more than absolute hardness is the suitability of each to the job in hand. For instance, if a 'proper' paint job is say £250 but lasts 10 years (arbitary figures by the way), is this more suited than a powder coat at £30 that only lasts 'x' years. The answer to this of course, depends on what you're looking for.

I'd be interested to know the relative benefits/costs of each as I'm sure the OP and other future readers would. Can anyone elucidate?
Last edited by bikes4two on 29 Aug 2011, 12:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Mercian stove enamelling starts at £100 - see here (scroll down). Contrast bands, linings and transfers add considerably :? .
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

If in 10 years i fancy a change of colour how is powder coating removed?
Bear in mind my lovely Carlton-in-Lindrick manufactured 531DB frame only cost £32 on ebay!
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Powder coating is quite hard to remove and needs to be sand blasted very slowly at a very high pressure
thus your frame gets pitted by the high pressure of the blasting ! I had a frame powder coated and got tired
of the colour and when i took my frame to be blasted the sand just bounced off the super hard surface and
when the stuff was off my frame was left with an orange peel effect ! I'll never have anything powder coated again.

Another thing with powder coating is its all down to a guy who's doing the coating ! so you can end up with bad results.

Cranks look good powder coated though and never wears off.

Ian :?
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

al_yrpal wrote:

Al

It's a damn sight more environmentally friendly than paint. The fumes given off as it is sprayed, the solvents used to keep it liquid, the thinners you add to it to spray it. Plus you're wasting a lot of paint with the overspray.

Wikipedia gives plenty of other reasons:

Powder coatings emit zero or near zero volatile organic compounds (VOC).
Powder coatings can produce much thicker coatings than conventional liquid coatings without running or sagging.
Powder coating overspray can be recycled and thus it is possible to achieve nearly 100% use of the coating.
Powder coating production lines produce less hazardous waste than conventional liquid coatings.
Powder coated items generally have fewer appearance differences between horizontally coated surfaces and vertically coated surfaces than liquid coated items.
A wide range of specialty effects is easily accomplished which would be impossible to achieve with other coating processes.

Surly powder coat their bikes for this reason.

As for harder wearing, it's a damn sight easier to get bolts into the holes on a painted frame. On a powder coated frame you have to get a tap into the threads first or you'll snap the bolt (I learned the hard way).
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

gilesjuk wrote:
As for harder wearing, it's a damn sight easier to get bolts into the holes on a painted frame. On a powder coated frame you have to get a tap into the threads first or you'll snap the bolt (I learned the hard way).

That's why you use sacrificial bolts in all the threads :wink:
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

Ian Raleigh wrote:Powder coating is quite hard to remove and needs to be sand blasted very slowly at a very high pressure
thus your frame gets pitted by the high pressure of the blasting !
Ian :?

Not necessarily. I had a previously powder coated Thorn frame, and a Dawes frame with Hardaznailz paint, powder coated by Armourtex in London, and there was no problem. They get rid of the old powder coat by using a pyrolysis oven for steel frames or a solvent stripper for aluminium frames. So, if you have a previously powder coated frame and you want it powder coated again it seems you need to ask how the old finish will be removed.
PW

Post by PW »

If you want a decent enamel job try Vernon Barker in Dronfield. I'm just rebuilding the Son in Law's Claud Butler after one of Vernon's paint jobs, it really is damn good and it doesn't seem to scratch either. :P
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!