dahon

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peter236uk

dahon

Post by peter236uk »

Hey does anyone have one of these if so what are they like I noticed a guy on the train that had one yesterday it was like a mountain bike that folded looked quite well specked

love Bromptons but at 6ft 2'' struggle with them
CJ

Post by CJ »

Here's a review from a folding bike enthusiast. He didn't really use it for its intended purpose (mountain-biking presumably) but then maybe you won't either. For mainly road riding the suspension is excess weight and the tyres too draggy.

Dahon also have some more road-worthy large-wheeled folders in their range. Unfortunately UK shops don't seem to want to stock them.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

I assume you mean the 26 inch wheeled folders, if not then some pictures of my 20 inch wheeled Dahon/s for sale over on the For Sale board. http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5495I
essexman

Post by essexman »

Theres a guy on my train (not cambridge to liverpool street is it?) who rides one. He takes it over fields for a seven mile hilly and muddy commute.

If you want a serious mountain bike , dont buy the folders. If you want an offroad folder look at:
-The dahons
-The Montague http://www.montagueco.com (cool bikes impossible to get in this country)
-Maybe the airnimal off road one, which to me looks the wrong geometry, ie its a road bike with suspension jammed on.
I hate snow.
gn3d

Dahons - don't wear it out or break it : spares not an optio

Post by gn3d »

Think twice if considering a Dahon - very nice bikes : I have one. But don't wear it out or break it. There spares policy is not existent - I think you're supposed to buy a new one.
TwoWheelsGood

Post by TwoWheelsGood »

I once had a Dawes Metropolis (a rebadged Dahon small-wheeled folder), and the bike itself was OK but it didn't seem to stand up too well to heavy use and abuse. (Modern Dahons are probably better in this respect.) For one thing, the seatpost occasionally slid down (I'm not particularly heavy either), and I once met another Metropolis owner who said that she had trouble with the seatpost quick release mechanism eventually bending.

Plus the frame hinge seemed prone to rust, but that of course won't apply to an aluminium frame.