Actuation Ratio of Brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Actuation Ratio of Brakes

Post by Mick F »

Dunno specifically what they would take, but 25mm would be ok, but I doubt anything chunky would go in under the 'guards.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

MartinC wrote:
Brucey wrote:One day they may get it (again; they used to make longer drop brakes.... :roll: ), but I'm not holding my breath.... :wink:

cheers

Yes, a few years ago I emailed Mr Campagnolo to see if they were ever going to this again. They just don't see a market for it. Only in Britain do people (including me) put mudguards on 'racing' bikes. Maybe it doesn't rain anywhere else. I think that they're wrong - I can't see that adding some 57mm drop brakes to one of their groups would create much overhead and there must be some sort of market in the Audax/light touring/training segment. I think their view is that to survive they need to concentrate on the premium end of the racing market and not lose their focus by dabbling in other bits - it's why they ditched all the cheap (Xenon and Mirage) stuff.

Although you can buy 2014 models from several manufacturers which have Xenon gruppos fitted. I think they maybe have kept it, but as OEM-only.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Brucey wrote:Although you can buy 2014 models from several manufacturers which have Xenon gruppos fitted. I think they maybe have kept it, but as OEM-only.

cheers

Yes, I think that too, you can also buy (but not in the UK) Miche groupsets that use Xenon shifters and mechs and they're also pretty easy to source from the the guys (e.g. Ribble) who sell bagged surplus OEM stuff.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

foxyrider wrote:Why not just buy the Campagnolo brakes? - in my experience much better than the fiddly Shimano units

I thought about it, I was going to buy record but then I change my mind. If you read the reviews on these shimano brakes then you will see that shimano changed ( cable pull amount) made them super brakes. Maybe not compatible with other shimano groups but work great with Campagnolo levers.

My plan was to upgrade to some Sram calipers, don't remember the model now but I understand they are brilliant. Then shimano came out with these new Dura-Ace so here we are :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ayesha wrote:The secret is to operate the brake levers with your index and second finger only. Grip the bars or undersides of the brake lever body with your third and little fingers.

Power is nothing without control.

:shock: and braking is nothing with fingers broken on the back of the lever as you go over a bump.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.