Marin East Peak - wear in rear suspension pivots

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Graham

Re: Marin East Peak - wear in rear suspension pivots

Postby Graham » 24 Sep 2011, 10:33pm

Squeaker. Thanks again.

Their claims for this "maintenance-free" linkage package seems rather extraordinary.

Graham

Postby Graham » 12 Aug 2016, 10:20am

PS : its a 1999 East Peak. So 16.5 yrs old

Back in 2011, I did not bother to get any of the suspension bits replaced via Marin themselves ( due to unhelpful Marin dealer [UMD] ).

Instead I got the Fox shock mounts and bushes replaced via an Ebay seller - J-Tech. That cost £28 approx . . .

The play in the suspension was "good enough" after the J-Tech parts were fitted so I just cycled on for a few more years, until . .

Five years later . . . . the play in the rear triangle must be around 10mm each way at the back of the rear tyre.

* The other Marin dealer in my area took my phone number and promised to give me a ring once he had enquired about the suspension parts.
** No call or voice message ever received.

*** Thus visit to the original UMD ( from 5 years ago ). They made a long phone call to Marin while I was in the shop revealed :-
**** Original receipt of payment for the bike would yield suspension replacement parts under warranty.
***** Marin had parts in stock.
[ As you can imagine this raised my expectations ! ]

Once informed that the parts had arrived I took the rear triangle down to the shop, to have the bearings pressed in by the pro mechanic.

***** There were no other parts provided apart from the pair of bearings. And that is/was all they could provide [ not even the main pivot axle ! ]
****** Marin did not stock any of the old suspension parts, the bearings had to be obtained from another supplier ( but were paid for by Marin ).

[ This seems to be rather inconsistent ! Between the two visits the story has completely changed. ]

I will see how good/bad the suspension is once they have pressed in the new bearings.
I do have a couple of pre-used main pivot axles, on standby, that I might need to bring back into use.

I am told that there is no possibility of replacing any of the other suspension parts where metal can move against metal.

I'm hoping I get 3 more years out of this frame before it is unmaintainable scrap.

Lessons learnt
===========
Suspension frame components wear out - rather rapidly.
Modern bikes that have a new model every year are at risk of leaving you with unobtainable parts in the medium/long-term.

I probably won't be buying another full-suss bike.

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 12 Aug 2016, 4:52pm

Graham wrote:I am told that there is no possibility of replacing any of the other suspension parts where metal can move against metal.
No problem unless the shock or rear triangle pivot point bearings fail catastrophically :roll: The shock bearings belong to the shock (as the original Fox shock was condemned as 'unrepairable' a few years back, I'm just in the process of fitting a spare SSD225 DT Swiss shock to mine - the attachment bolts essentially clamp the shock's bushings into the frame) and there are only the 2 rear triangle pivot bearings, so you should be good to go for another 16 years 8)

PS: what front fork do you have? I've run an 80mm Marzocchi Bomber air shock for years (the original Manitou is still awaiting re-deployment) - always thought I should have bought a 100mm version...

PPS: been looking at improving the old girl: longer stroke fork, wider rims (to get a 2.4 happily on the front), disc brakes, that sort of thing, but my wallet keeps saying 'no, look at what you could buy new for that' or 'what about a fat bike' :lol:
"42"

Graham

Postby Graham » 12 Aug 2016, 5:55pm

Thanks for the reassurance. I will report back once the bearings are pressed-in and I have reassembled the bike.

The forks are the original Manitou Spyder R. The only thing I have changed was the elastomer to SOFT/blue - which suits me well.

The original Fox Vanilla shock is still in place, with a slightly increasing leak of oil as the years go by.

The original STX chainset, which appeared to made of plastic or marshmallow, has been replaced by a TA Zephyr triple. ( A bit of an upgrade there! )